Default Hard drive error

Please could you advise? A friend of mine suffered the 'blue screen death' thing on his computer, bearing in mind the system that he has is very old, like, 'out of the ark' old, like 'past its sell-by-date' old, so old in fact that it still has Noah's finger prints all over it!! The hard drive failed & he was unable to access important information, I attempted to link up the hard drive with my system via a ribbon cable, the hard drive powered up & the disc was spinning but the computer just wouldn't pick it up. I checked in 'my computer', and sure enough the hard drive hadn't been recognised. I think the hard drive has given up completely but, is there any way I can access the data for my friend to save him from losing it?

Blog Entries

Try another computer....if it is working mechanically there is still hope

It could be you did not jump it to slave in your computer
    Sometimes the PSU can not handle the added HDD
    Does the HDD show up in the BIOS?

============================
    If the data is old an important and a lot of data
    An expensive solution is to take it to a shop or ship it to a recovery company
    Some points to consider below;
    With all of that said, here’s a few tips on what to look for (and what to avoid).
    • No data, no fee: Avoid companies that insist on charging you for the privilege of failing to provide a useful service.
    • Low-cost evaluation + return fee: Many firms offer a free diagnosis but will charge relatively high postage to send the drive back. $25-$30 for an evaluation+postage seems fairly reasonable, we’d be cautious of companies charging $50 or more for the two services combined.
    • Avoid broad estimates: No firm can completely diagnose a hard drive by remote, but that doesn’t mean they can’t get an idea for what’s wrong. Beware of companies that offer estimates broad enough to buy a car with. At the very least, ask for estimates that fit the typical cost of specific problems
    • Check the price of parts: The quotes we received typically included the cost of replacement parts. Most companies also note, however, that difficult-to-find hardware may still add additional cost. It doesn’t hurt to see if you can self-source the part, particularly when the cost of a donor drive or PCB is a very small fraction of the total recovery fee.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post: