Default Preloaded games from start menu acting funny

When I open my preloaded games from my start menu and try to play them they act funny. I'm talking about games such as solitaire, spider solitaire, etc. While I'm trying to play the game I get flashes on my screen, and the icon for the game on my start bar jumps to the right and then moves back to the left like the game is "cutting out". For instance, when I go to grab a card in spider solitaire, the icon jumps to the right, and I have to try to grab it several times.
    Dawn A Nelson

Hi Horsinaround,

Do you recall making any recent changes to the computer? Are you having any other issues with your computer?

Which OS is installed on your computer? If I remember correctly you have Windows 7 installed. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Let's see if disabling the game then re-enabling the games makes any difference. To accomplish this, please do the following:

• Close all programs.
    • Click Start button, and then click Control Panel.
    • In the tasks pane on the left, click Turn Windows features on or off.
    • In the list of windows features, click on plus sign + next to Games.
    • Under Games clear the check mark next to Spider Solitaire and any other game you are having trouble with.
    • If you receive a warning message in a pop-up window, click Yes.
    • Now restart the computer and then go back to Turn Windows features on or off features. Place a check mark for Solitaire. You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.
    • Restart your computer.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Default No change

Hi Donna,
    Thank you for the prompt reply, and sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I followed the steps that you outlined, but it didn't appear to fix the problem. I have Windows 7 Professional installed. I don't appear to be having any other problems.

Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi Horsinaround,

Do you recall making any recent changes to the computer? Are you having any other issues with your computer?

Which OS is installed on your computer? If I remember correctly you have Windows 7 installed. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Let's see if disabling the game then re-enabling the games makes any difference. To accomplish this, please do the following:

• Close all programs.
    • Click Start button, and then click Control Panel.
    • In the tasks pane on the left, click Turn Windows features on or off.
    • In the list of windows features, click on plus sign + next to Games.
    • Under Games clear the check mark next to Spider Solitaire and any other game you are having trouble with.
    • If you receive a warning message in a pop-up window, click Yes.
    • Now restart the computer and then go back to Turn Windows features on or off features. Place a check mark for Solitaire. You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.
    • Restart your computer.

Donna
    Dawn A Nelson

Blog Entries

Try running a built in Windows repair program called SFC /SCANNOW
    (note there is a space between the SFC and the /)
    SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanks abseh1. This really has me stumped. I'm thinking either corruption in files, faulty video card, or maybe even the hard drive going bad. I recall having issues being able to choose, hold onto, and dragging cards in Spider Solitaire and Free Cell just before my HD crashed, though I did have other issues with delayed reactions and slow opening of programs and having to click several times to get a program to even open. I vaguely recall a bit of flashing of the screen as well.

Horsinaround. If what abseh1 suggests doesn't help, also try the following:

• Click on Start then click on My Computer
    • Right click on the C: drive, scroll down and click on Properties
    • Click on the Tools tab
    • Click on the Check Now... button
    • In the dialog box that opens, place a checkmark in the 2 boxes and click on Start
    • The next dialog box will now show a similar message as below:
      • Windows can't check the disk while it's in use.
        Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you
        start your computer ? <Schedule disk check/Cancel>
      • Click on Schedule disk check and reboot the computer if it does not reboot on it's own.
    • Checkdisk will start once the computer reboots. It can take up to an hour or more to complete as it goes through the stages. Allow it to run uninterrupted till complete.

To find the log that is produced, please do the following:

• Reboot the computer.
    • Click on Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer
    • Next, click on the little arrow to the left of Windows Logs then find and click on Applications.
    • Once the Event Viewer opens, in the middle pane search for Log Summary and click on Application.
    • Scroll down to find the Wininit entry under Source column for the date and time the scan was performed.
    • Double click on the Wininit entry and a window will open.
    • Click on the Copy button in the lower left to copy to clipboard then paste to your next reply.

Let us know if either helps to resolve the issue.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Yes Donna ...if he gets back with us....maybe just updating the Video Card drivers may help

If he gives the Video card info...I will search for a driver for him

He could have malware or a HDD is a good thought too

He needs to run Windows updates and update Flash and Java too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer