Default Hard drive purchase

Please could you enlighten me? I'm looking to purchase a brand new Barracuda HDD from Ebay, the details are as follows.......
    500GB SEAGATE SATA HARD DISK DRIVE Serial ATA II - 12 MONTH WARRANTY ......please could you explain the difference between the 'Sata l, the ll, and the lll?

Thank you

It's all about speed / data transfer rate.

SATA revision 1.0 (SATA 1.5 Gbit/s)
    First-generation SATA interfaces, now known as SATA 1.5 Gbit/s, communicate at a rate of 1.5 Gbit/s

SATA revision 2.0 (SATA 3 Gbit/s)
    Second generation SATA interfaces run with a native transfer rate of 3.0 Gbit/s

SATA revision 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s)
    It runs with a native transfer rate of 6.0 Gbit/s

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Thank you zep516, am I right to assume then that the SATA revision 1.0 (SATA 1.5 Gbit/s) is the most up to date or most recent & therefore better recommended?

SATA revision 3.0 (SATA 6 Gbit/s)

That would be the most recent and up to date as far as I can tell simply looking at the revision level. Then there might be compatibility issues depending on motherboard, that I am not aware of. Lets see if Abseh1 can shed light on it for us.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

You never mentioned price vs performance...you do get what you pay for...but for storage etc...less could be better

Serial ATA devices running at standard speed are also known as SATA-150. ..older models

Serial ATA II provides better features such as Native Command Queuing (NCQ), plus a higher speed rate of 300 MB/s.

Devices that can run at this speed are called SATA-300. The next standard to be released will be SATA-600.
    (I do not know if 600's are out (probably the 3.0) and really have no need for more than Serial ATA II)

It is important to note that SATA II and SATA-300 are not synonyms.

One can build a device that runs only at 150 MB/s but using new features provided by SATA II such as NCQ.
    This device would be a SATA II device, even though it doesn't run at 300 MB/s.

Too much geeky stuff for most
    ======================
    Summary ...zep gave you good info....your drive seems fine....but you need to check the cache too

It also, depends if the HDD is for an OS or just storage and home use

So check various prices and companies too...price matters to most

They also, ID some as green , blue and black, black being the best, and other fancy names too
    (I honestly believe if it is for home use and storage green is OK)

The drives today have 8 mb, 32mb or 64 mb etc ...64 cache is better than 32MB

The 12 month warranty is weak....might want to look @ Western Digital drives too...they normally have a 3 year warranty
    (this is not craved in granite...just from what I know "use-to-be the norm"...of course they all sell extended warranties to make $$$)

Thailand makes most of the HDDs and they had a serious flood recently...and that gave an excuse for the companies to have recently increased the price of all their HDDs

Speed in my opinion, makes little difference for home users 5400rpm run cooler.. 7200rpm run a bit faster...so some say

I posted this awhile back in H2G
    How higher RPM hard drives rip you off

Finally, check the amount of cache...I would look for 64 MB cache and the Gb/s (6 Gb/s is OK)

BTW: They now have SSD or solid state...gamers put SSD just, on their OS for more speed...again I have no interest, as they are well over priced for my use...not really your question anyway
    Last edited by abseh1; 10-27-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added text and a link
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post: