Default Suspected router problem

My laptop is wirelessly connected to my home network. For the last two days it only connects to the internet when it wants to. Most of the time i get the error message unable to connect and it takes me through the usual turn the router off for thirty seconds and press reset. This never solves the problem. I have the same problem with my desktop (rarely used nowadays) but an old Eeepc laptop that hasn't been used for over a year connects every time.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Windows 7 and Vista

From the Start menu, select Control Panel, or Settings and then Control Panel. Double-click Network and Sharing Center.

From the list of tasks on the left, click Change adapter settings (in Windows 7), or Manage network connections (in Vista).

For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.

For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.

From the Networking tab, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties.

Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Settings, and then Control Panel.

Double-click Network Connections.

For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.

For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.

From the General tab, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties.

Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Zep. I did that, Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) was already checked and Obtain an IP Address Automatically was already selected. Hopefully it will connect automatically when i turn it on in the morning. I'm using windows 7.

I figured that. kind of strange that happens across 2 computers. Wonder if it's a temp problem with your provider? The next thing of course is to reinstall the wireless adapter from the device manger and reboot the computer to reinstall it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

It cut me off while i was sending an e-mail. It took nearly an hour to get reconnected. How can i reinstall the wireless adapter? (is that the router?)

Click on the Start Orb.
    In the Start Search box type: device manager and then press enter.

Now look in the device manager for Network to left of the word Network click the + sign to expand the list, look for the wireless adapter, there should be 2 adapters. The wireless adapter is usually the second one listed. Once found, right click on it and choose uninstall, reboot the computer and windows will reinstall it.

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

I'm guessing that is the Intel R Centrino R Wireless N 130?
    Attached Images

I'm guessing that is the Intel R Centrino R Wireless N 130?
    That's correct. Right click on it choose uninstall and reboot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

It said it installed correctly. I had to put in my router number/key again. It seems to be working now. If it is still ok in the morning i will do the same thing on my desktop. Thanks Zep.