Cool A question about my D drive

First up let me say please excuse my ignorance on this matter.

I have an Acer AX3950 machine running Windows 7. 64bit. 4gb ram

Due to the amount of stuff I have on this machine I only have 83gb free out of 500gb

My questions are this:

1. I have a D drive which is empty - properties say this has 457GB free. Does this mean that I can use this drive as a storage drive? Please dont laugh at my total stupidity...thanks.

2. Any recommendations for freeing up some space on my C drive without deleting files that I need to keep. I mean things like temp internet files and system restore stuff.

Thanks in advance
    KoKo

Blog Entries

They are sold with a 500GB Hard Drive

I do not think it is standard....but if it is there you can probably use it for storage

Did you buy it new?....it may be a partition from a bigger HDD or a second HDD... you, usually lose your optical drive by adding a second HDD in a laptop

Hard to say....but I have heard of a laptop with two internal HDDs

I would think so....at first guess that is storage ...either a partition or a second HDD

Did you open it? Is it a storage HDD?

Too big to be a recovery....that's for sure

Open it and see whats on it

If it is empty just send a file to it and then open it and see

Right click a small file and send it to the D drive as a test....then open it and look for the file
    Last edited by abseh1; 11-03-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanks for your response. I have a desktop. It was new.

I did send a folder to it and so far it is still there and the contents are in it.

I assume that I can only use it as a storage drive? Is that correct?

I have an external hard drive which is also full and have just ordered a new external with 2tg of space. So, once that arrives and I have everything backed up on it I will test out the D drive....just to be safe. I'm a hoarder of stuff.....what can I say.

Thanks again

Blog Entries

Try and open the folder

You have an extra storage drive too...cheers...abs

BTW: Make sure you have created OS backup disks too and a separate recovery CD
    (unless it came with disks)
    Also, backup your data on a regular bases....you have more stuff than most...you do not want to lose your data with a potential crash....down the road..(hopefully not)
    Last edited by abseh1; 11-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanks again for your response.
    I can open the folder and see everything that is in it.
    When I bought this pc I created backup disks but I still prefer to have all my files backed up.

Now, if I could find those temporary internet files and delete them safely. I have changed the setting to show hidden files and have deleted the temp files through the browsers themselves (chrome, firefox and IE8) but I don't think they have deleted everything.

I also changed my defrag to only happen once a month instead of every day.

Is there a quick way of knowing which folders are taking up the most space without doing it manually?

I am grateful for your responses....thanks again

Hi KoKo,

Is there a quick way of knowing which folders are taking up the most space without doing it manually?
    You could try WinDirStat: Windows Directory Statistics which is a free program or you could try TreeSize Professional which offers a 30-day free trial.

Due to the amount of stuff I have on this machine I only have 83gb free out of 500gb
    It's best that Windows has 20% of free space for optimal performance. If I did my math correctly, you need to get the above 83gb's to 100% to have 20% free space on the 500gb partition of your C:\ drive. Personally, I like to see more than 20%.

Here's a nice program for to clear out your temp files:

Download TFC by Old Timer from here:
    • First, save any files as TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
    • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista/Windows 7 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
    • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
    • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete cleaning.

More info:
    TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
    -- TFC only cleans temp folders.
    -- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

TFC requires a reboot immediately after running. Be sure to save any unsaved work before running TFC.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much for this useful information. Much appreciated.