Default cannot connect to internet

I have a Compaq Presario laptop with Windows 7 (can't remember if it is Professional or Home Edition). I take it to the local library to use their wi-fi (no internet at home). It worked fine until 3 days ago. I can log on to the wireless network but cannot connect to the internet. I am not too computer savvy but tried a couple of different addresses but all were no-go. I'm sure it is something relatively simple, not a hardware problem. Any help would be appreciated as I am broke and cannot afford to take it to a repair shop and pay a $45-60 "diagnostic fee."

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If it was working fine, and you haven't changed any settings, I suggest you ask the people at the library if they have changed anything. Unfortunately I don't know Win 7, others may have suggestions for you, so stay tuned.

No, that was the first thing I did - asked an employee if they were having trouble with the internet. They were not. And the fellow next to me using his laptop got on the internet just fine. So it is definitely something with my unit. I didn't change anything from the day before. It was working fine one day then the next day it wasn't. And I keep it off, closed and in the carry case when not in use so the cats don't mess with it. I'm puzzled and frustrated to say the least.

Member Spyware Fighter

Hello, lets try another option and check if you have the right files.

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run it.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

Please ensure that ONLY items seen in the image below are ticked as indicated (they're all checked by default):

Click on box next to the Restart System when Finished. Then click on Start.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
    • Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
      • Windows Firewall
      • System Restore
      • Security Center/Action Center
      • Windows Update
      • Windows Defender
    • Press "Scan".
    • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
    • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-