Default cloning / backing up W7

Hello All

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Our XP PC uses a second HDD in a removable caddie with Norton Ghost to clone the HHD in case of disaster recovery. Only ever used once and it worked fine. Took out the existing HDD which has been trashed, replaced with the back up HDD and carried on as if nothing had changed.

Currently my wife is also using the same procedure to clone her W7 PC to an external USB HDD.

However, it all takes a long time.

I have been told that W7's disk imaging tool (Control panel, backup your computer, "create a system image") will do the same job faster but I'm not sure.

The objective is - like with the XP - to create a cloned backup of everything on the W7 HDD so that, if the absolute worst happened an she had to ditch the existing HDD, then she can simply replace it with the cloned HDD and carry on.

So my question - is what I have been told about the disk image correct? If my wife uses the W7 disk imaging tool will it give her an external HDD that is an exact clone of her existing HDD?

Thanks for any tips.

OJ
    PLEASE DONATE. Help keep our site alive without ads.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

Hi Oddjob,

Good to see you! I recently created the repair disk on my Win7 through the backup and restore feature and it took mere minutes to do so. Was also discussing the option to create a system image through same means with a friend the other day and I was told it could take up to 20 mins. depending on how much was on the HDD. Now I wished I had gone ahead and performed that task to share with you the exact amount of time it took for what I have on my HDD.

Here's a really good tutorial and the one that is was reading if needed:

How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Yes the imaging works well...may I suggest you also, backup the data separately with Win 7 backup

The reason the image files are not visible but will restore the image

The Win 7 data files can be accessed at any time and transfered to other media ...flash drive etc

It is just a short extra step and they are like the files that Donna backed up....you will get both options at backup panel...so best to do both....JMHO

BTW: Be sure to create a windows 7 repair CD too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thank you both.

On starting up the system for the very first time my wife was prompted to create repair disks. She did that. Am I right to assume that the process doesn't need doing over again?

As to the cloning I'll read the article you quote, Donna. Hopefully it will mean a shorter time to "clone"/back up the C & D drives on the main HDD.

Wife is always concerned - rightly so - that, if total failure hits, she has an easy method to restore everything back to the way it was.
    PLEASE DONATE. Help keep our site alive without ads.

Help keep your computer protected. Read this > http://www.help2go.com/article152.html

You're welcome,

I wished everybody would take the time to create those discs when they are prompted to. Those discs are an exact image of the recovery partition and you may never know when they will be needed.

On my sons ASUS, I was able to create a 2nd set of recovery discs even after I had to use the 1st set of discs to reinstall after a ZeroAccess infection that corrupted the registry so badly it was our only option. Not all manufacturers offer that option. I can't create a 2nd set for my HP and wasn't presented with the option at all with my Gateway, though Gateway did include recovery discs when the laptop was purchased brand new.

The difference between cloning and creating the recovery discs:

Cloning is an exact copy of everything on the drive and will restore it back to its current state. It’s best to create an image when everything is clean and organized on your system.

Reinstalling with the recovery discs sets it back to factory condition.

Having more than one backup is a good thing. You never know when the discs could be damaged.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post: