Thread: Shutdown?

Default Shutdown?

Hi, please could anyone advise? I've installed windows 7 on a 32 bit machine, with 1GB memory & 2.8GHz processor. Intially no problem. I then installed Google chrome, firefox, and Microsoft Office 2007, again no problem. Suddenly the machine went into sleep mode, and I had to reboot to get it back, then it shutdown again so I had to reboot again. Now, I can't even turn the machine on??? The 'start button' is flashing intimitantly but thats it...nothing more, now it won't even turn on.....is this a hardware or software problem.....please....any ideas? Thank you.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Number7,

It appears that the minimum RAM required for Win 7 is 1 Gig. I'm guessing the additional programs are pushing the limits and causing shutdown. Take a look here Windows 7 min. system requirements . If you can, I suggest adding at least 1 gig RAM and check on your graphics card to see if it has memory built in.

Others I'm sure will have input.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Thank you canuck, I will of course check everything. But would the additional programs cause such a shutdown? The system was running fine for about 20 mins but now it won't even turn on. The 'on/off' button just flashes intimitantly like its in sleep mode but, firstly, how do I retrieve the system from sleep mode, and secondly would the problem cause the machine to be unable to start from pressing the start button? Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks again.

That's a good link Canuck! Made me wonder about the different Win7 editions and recommendations for requirements.

See the following link:

Minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7

Also scroll down a bit the view the Physical memory limits for Windows 7

Is this a desktop that you installed Win7 on?

Which Win7 edition?

I think this might be a hardware issue, possibly the RAM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Check Canuck post

But look for heat issues too

You need to look inside the case to view the fans...use caution and static protection

You could fry a CPU if a CPU fan has failed ...there are often several fans....the CPU fan is the most critical...it could fry your computer in a few seconds if the BIOS was not set for overheat protection

There could be a PSU or a PSU fan failure too...see if it is spinning....but only if the CPU fan is running

There are sometimes case fans...usually at least one in the back or side...sometimes a fan in the front of the case too
    Case fan failures usually take awhile to cause the case to overheat and shut down the computer....often dusty fans and dusty case can cause a heat shutdown
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thank you canuck, I will of course check everything. But would the additional programs cause such a shutdown?
    Simply installing programs does not. But when they run, they start consuming resources, including system RAM. The problem today is, because of badguys, we also need to load up our systems with security programs - "real-time" security programs (anti-malware and a firewall, for example). And as Canuck suggested, if you are using integrated graphics, then some of that 1Gb is likely being used for graphics.

So before you can even call up Chrome or Word, for example, Windows has almost run out of working space (system RAM) so it is forced to bang on the slow hard drive's Page File - a lot.

BUT - that has nothing to do with sleep problems.

Did you press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Hi Digerati

Thank you, and all of you for your advice. No I didn't press & hold the power button for 5 seconds but I will try this of course. I'll double check the Ram as well. There's power going into the motherboard, so I don't think its a m/board problem....he says!!?? Any further advice would be greatly appreciated & welcomed but I'll check further according to the advice you guys have already given me...thanks again, you're the best!

No I didn't press & hold the power button for 5 seconds
    It will not matter if your BIOS is not set in this manner (actually, it is normally 4 seconds - but I don't if you know how to spell Mississippi. (That's one way to count off seconds).
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: