Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

otherwise, can't i just borrow an xp disk and use my own licence key?
    I don't know how all that works. I'm weak in this area. You know who are good here is Donna & abseh1, they both have direct experience with some of this product key stuff etc. Lets see if they would chime in here with your answer to the question...

Joe

Hi MickKnipfler,

Let's see the log that chkdsk produces:

To find the log that is produced please do the following:

• Reboot the computer.
    • Click on Start then Control Panel
    • In Control Panel click on Administrative Tools
    • Click on Event Viewer
    • Once the Event Viewer opens, click on Application in the left pane
    • In the right pane locate the Winlogon entry under the Source column that corresponds with the time that Checkdisk was ran.
    • Double click on it and a window will open.
    • Click on the save to clipboard button.

This will save the log till you paste it in you next reply.

If you'd like, you can open notepad, right click and paste there till you can get to your thread here at Help2Go to paste it in your next reply.

can't i just borrow an xp disk and use my own licence key?
    I've accomplished this with Vista and Win7 though it has to be the version of OS that is presently installed, such as if you have XP Home installed it has to be an XP Home disk. Preferably a retail disk and not an OEM disk. Abseh1 can clarify that for us to be sure.

What is the make and model number of this computer? That may help a bit.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

chkdsk is still running at the moment. (Checking Free Space). I'll post the log later. I think it's xp proffessional.

The machine is a dell vostro 200

Donna, just for info. admin tools was behind another option ....Mtce or something.

Here is the only winlogon log:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Winlogon
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1001
    Date: 10/11/2012
    Time: 12:38:05
    User: N/A
    Computer: BLACKDELL
    Description:
    Checking file system on E:
    The type of the file system is FAT32.

The volume is dirty.
    Volume Serial Number is 1315-0B37
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
    976519104 KB total disk space.
    81728 KB in 1115 hidden files.
    108448 KB in 3372 folders.
    187806112 KB in 87101 files.
    788522784 KB are available.

32768 bytes in each allocation unit.
    30516222 total allocation units on disk.
    24641337 allocation units available on disk.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

Hi MickKnipfler,

Sorry for the delay.

admin tools was behind another option ....Mtce or something.
    Ok. Could just be the slight differences between XP Home Editon and XP Pro. I don't have my XP Pro hooked up at the moment to check the path.

Seems we have a couple issues here and I needed to consult my friend rshaffer61 to verify just how to approach these issues.

Seems the chkdsk was ran on a different drive ..... Drive E: which from what we can tell is on an external, another partition or separate drive.

As displayed in the log you provided, I am concerned with the following:

Checking file system on E:
    The type of the file system is FAT32.

The volume is dirty.
    Volume Serial Number is 1315-0B37

We need to clean up that dirty volume before we can proceed. Please do the following:

Please check the following before proceeding:
    • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
    • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
    Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one:

I have substituted the correct drive letter for the drive your want to check for in the following commands. Please note the spaces.
    • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default...will come back invalid on some installations)
    • chkntfs /c E: ..... (This will allow checking the specified drive )
    • chkntfs /x E: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
    At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Again, I have substituted the drive letter for the drive you want to check for in the following commands.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
    • chkdsk /f /r E: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation on the specified drive)
    • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
    This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset the Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query E:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

If the machine boots back up to the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter"...it should boot to Windows.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 11-11-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

MMmm... I may have had an external disc connected. Do yu think it might have checked that?

If there's the possibility that the external was connected, then yes I do.

Go ahead and follow the instructions above and we'll continue from there. You really need to get that cleaned up.

Once you have completed the last step:

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query E :, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.
    Let me know the results and we can run a chkdsk on your HD.

Are you saying that there is also a problem with the external drive?

For what it's worth, didn't we clean up the dirty bit once before MickKnipfler? Perhaps we, I was not thorough enough.

I had problems with a BSOD a few months back. I made a WD diagnostiv boot disk and ran the diagnostics which found some problems. Post 6#
    I think there could be some unrepairable problems with the disk. But carry on and see......

Joe

OK so do I run these checks on the hrd drive or the external drive?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast