Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Unable to download programs

I've tried to update my java and can't. I get the warning that a download has been blocked. I click download file, then I get the rectangular box and the download starts to show....then I get a pop up saying that the internet site is down. I've tried to update Ccleaner and it does the same thing

my windows updates are failing too!

I'm rinning XP

Hi,

MickKnipfler

Most likely an Anti Virus or Firewall would prevent or block downloads. As far as Internet site being down not sure about that one. What do you have installed as far as these programs are concerned? What Browser are you using?

Lets boot the computer to "Safe Mode with networking" once there, try to up-date Java. Here's how,

Restart the computer, hold the F8 Key down during restart, wait for the black screen with white letters to show, now use the arrow key on the keyboard to select "Safe Mode with networking" once the computer boots into this mode try to up-date Java.

• Let us know.
    • What Anti Virus program are you using?
    • What Firewall?
    • What browser?

Joe

I'll try that Joe

I'm using Security Essentials, Zone Alarm & IE9.

I'm just trying to update flash. So far, that seems to be working OK.

I have had problems with my hard drive and I think that's failing but that shouldn't stop me downloading programs should it?

Hi,

I would not trust anything with a failing hard drive, just about anything could happen, if you think the drive is failing there's little sense in perusing the matter or any matter until that condition is resolved and or corrected. You are getting clear errors though that something is "Blocking" the download and as i said that usually involves an Anti Virus, or Firewall program or possible misconfiguration of a browser setting.
    A failing drive would not generate an error such as download has been blocked.

Why do you think the drive is failing?
    Last edited by zep516; 11-10-2012 at 02:34 PM.

I had problems with a BSOD a few months back. I made a WD diagnostiv boot disk and ran the diagnostics which found some problems.

Since then the machine hasn't been used. I turned it on to see if it would boot to an 'ultimate boot CD' but it booted without it and has been OK. I have had a couple of system tray pop ups though telling me to run chkdsk

Hi,

Just out of curiosity could you see if you can do this exercise below,

Lets see if we can see what's causing the Blue Screen

Download WhoCrashed
    This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

• Put a tick in Accept then click on Next.
    • Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next.
    • Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon.
    • then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish.
    • Click Analyze
    • It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it.
    Copy and paste it into your next reply.

I already have who crashed. I've not had a BSOD today though...

computer name: BLACKDELL
    windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
    windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz Intel586, level: 6
    2 logical processors, active mask: 3
    RAM: 2136055808 total
    VM: 2147352576, free: 2021240832

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Crash Dump Analysis
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. It may be that there are problems which prevent crash dumps from being written out. Check out the following article for possible causes: If crash dumps are not written out.

In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

Check out the following articles for more information: Troubleshooting sudden resets and shut downs.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

've updated java but windows updates are still failing

OK. Have you been able to up date Java using Safe mode with networking? That was the original problem.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast