Thread: Memory issues

Default Memory issues

Please could you educate me? I have two machines, one with Windows XP Pro, and one with Windows 7 Pro, both machines have a 2.8GHz processor, and both machines have just one memory stick - 1GB DDR2. I want to fit an additional memory stick (1GB) into each machine to have 2GB's working in each machine. Is this advisable, is it recommended, and would it make any particular difference? Thanks for your time.

Hi,

Number7

I would say "Yes" It's advisable, recommended , and should make a difference in computer performance overall.

You can use this scanner below to find out exactly what memory sticks will be compatible for you. It will scan your computer for you an offer the type you need.

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

I want to fit an additional memory stick (1GB) into each machine to have 2GB's working in each machine.
    2Gb is a good amount for XP, but for Windows 7 to really stretch its legs, it needs at least 3Gb and I generally recommend 4Gb (if your computer supports that much) - even if only running with 32-bit Windows 7. This is especially true if your computer is running with an integrated graphics solution (not a graphics card) which tend to steal... err, "share" some of your system RAM for graphics processing.

For sure, Windows 7 will run with just 2Gb, but it will run much MUCH better with 4Gb. And if you have 64-bit Windows 7 in there, I recommend 8Gb for optimal Windows 7 performance. Note with 64-bit Windows 7, 2Gb of RAM is the bare minimum recommendation - but that leaves very little wiggle room for all the necessary security you must run, and your favorite programs too, forcing Windows to frequently swap data out to the Page File located on the slow (compared to RAM) hard drive.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: