Default networking throughout house, one machine not able to connect ...

Hello, it's been a while since I've needed to ask a question - this forum has helped IMMENSLY in the past. I hope you can help with this issue ... I have an ethernet/wireless connection in the house. I recently had the ISP come and relocate the modem to another room in the house. One computer has the modem right next to it, connected by a short ethernet cable. There is another brand new laptop that has no probles connecting wirelessly. There is another, older desktop about 60' from the modem - connected by a 100' ethernet cable. This desktop used to live next to the modem, and now it seems to miss that modem because that computer won't connect to the internet. The desktop has Windows 7, the new laptop has windows 7 also. I even backed up all the pictures and documents on the old desktop and restored the computer to factory settings. The strange thing is that when I went to the 'Homegroup' setting, 'windows' was telling me to create a new password for that homegroup. There is already a password set for the homegroup ... I would have thought I'd need to re-enter that password - but windows wanted me to creat another.

The desktop closest to the modem runs windows 8 (I'm skeptical that the OS's play a large part in the internet capability, but I don't really know). If anyone can provide any guidance to why I can't seem to get an internet connection with the older desktop, I'd appreciate it!!! Thanx in advance!!!

Blog Entries

What does the device manger read....are there any red or yellow errors.....the work-group and the connection are separate...first you need to get on the Internet

Go into options in IE and Tools> connections>Lan settings> check auto detect settings >OK

BTW: make sure all the computers are in the same work-group....if you changed from the default name called work-group
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

While theoretically, the signal degradation in a 100' stretch of cable should not be a problem, that relies on quality CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable with quality connectors, and quality (and undamaged) crimps on the conductors in the connectors. And frankly, while I don't like to operate in absolutes, IMO, all factory made Ethernet cables are junk, and for anyone who works a lot with Ethernet, I recommend investing in a quality crimper (good ones are not cheap), a spool of good cable and a box of good connectors (and maybe a cable tester) and build your own cables - to the length you need. Be prepared to waste a few connectors while you practice - and do practice.

If me, I would temporarily move that distant computer up close and connect it via a short 6' cable to your router, then configure it and see if it works. If it does, then move back out to 100' and see if it holds.

At the very least you need to try another cable.

That said, your best bet may be to split the distance by using an inexpensive, 4-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet Switch sitting at the 50' point. The switch will act like a relay, boosting the signal on the cable. And while a 10/100 switch is all you really need, 1Gbit switch (the 1000 part) will serve you longer into the future.

Do make sure after the ISP tech came out that your IP assignments did not change and that now perhaps, you have a conflict with this distant device. You may need to "flush" its assignments and get a new one.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thanks once again, Forum. I tried moving the computer next to the router (NOT modem, my mistake). It connects okay. I located a few ethernet boosters for around $20, also. Then I thought about it and decided with the beat - up condition of the tower itself, maybe the time has come to replace the whole unit. I found a good deal on a refurbished unit, and will be attempting the correction with the old beat up computer. I have the network running, and when the new (refurbished) computer gets here, I hope it'll connect just as easily as the laptop did!

Thanks again for the help!!!

Sounds like a plan.

FTR, in most cases, Ethernet boosters are a waste of money and opportunities. They work - but so do Ethernet Switches. And switches generally cost much less and they allow you to connect many devices on the distant end, not just one. I would use a booster, maybe, if I needed to get out 300 meters.

IT does sound like that 100 foot stretch of cable was your problem and not the old computer. But it also sounds like you were looking for an excuse to replace the old computer.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

So I got the re-furbished unit a few days ago, and have been attempting to get it working. The OS - Windows 7 Home - appears to have been installed back in April of 2012. First, I was having trouble getting access to the internet , so I called the local ISP. After about an hour of troubleshooting, we got the 'HP slimline' to get online and open a page on the internet. Since the computer was refurbished 7 months ago and there was not even an indication of a service pack installation, I downloaded and installed 'Windows Service Pack 1'. Now, the refurbished computer BARELY gets on the internet (it's VERY slow to open google for it's browser page, but opens internet explorer more quickly). Currently, my concern is the way I am NOT able to load any windows updates. I keep getting the errors 8007002ee, then I run the 'fixit' button tool thing - then get the error 8007002efe and run the 'fixit tool again. I do have the computer in the distant location when attempting these fixes - and I'm thinking I will put the refurbished computer near the router, update everything, then move it back after it appears to be current (thanks digerati for suggesting this in my initial post). But that will come at a later time, as today is Thanksgiving - I am thankful there is a forum such as this where I can bounce around ideas and see what works!!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Still sounds like a plan. Keep us posted.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

it was all the updates ... I spent about three hours updating the machine at the router, and now it works like it should.

Super! I am glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the update.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────