Default No signal input. Check video cable.

My computer (OS = Linux) and monitor (Hannspree HSG 1106) were working just fine. Now, when I turn them on, a box that says, "No signal input. Check video cable." flashes once on the screen. Then the screen goes blank. I have disconnected and reconnected every cable and plug to no avail. What's my next step?
    Last edited by Madden's Nana; 11-16-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

It's possible that you have two input sockets at the back of the PC tower. Change connection to the other one if this is the case. Either way, make sure that connection at the back of monitor and the one to the PC are inserted tightly. If this doesn't work, do you have another monitor you can try the connections with .. to rule out that your monitor is not dead (if you're getting the message, it shouldn't be).

Also make sure to check the cable from the outlet to the rectangular box thingy to make sure it is connected securely. (What is that called? The power source? That's what it is called on an AC adapter for a laptop.)

I had that happen the other day. My cat gets behind the desk and he must have played with it just enough to loosen the cord from that rectangular box, even though it looked like it was connected still, it wasn't!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

grn

Assuming this is a PC and not a laptop.

If you happen to have a spare, working graphics card put that into your PC. Alternatively, if your motherboard has onboard graphics connect your monitor to that (I'm assuming you have a graphics card and not already using onboard graphics. Even so, a separate graphics card would help eliminate either that your graphics card or the onboard graphics is the source of the problem.

Also, when you power your system up do you hear any beeps (assumes you have an internal speaker connected to the motherboard). If you get anything other than a single beep, then you have some hardware problem (depends on the number of beeps/length of beeps - long or short and the type of BIOS).

Next, if you have more than one memory stick take out all but one - you need to check with your motherboard manual which socket should be used when there is only one memory stick. Try each of your memory sticks in turn and see if that resolves the problem and would show which stick(s) were faulty if at least one works.

If you have a graphics card, then testing it on another system if you have one or can get a friend to try it in their system would rule out the card if it works there.

After that it would depend on the results you get.

Hope something here helps and good luck,

George

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grn For This Useful Post: