Default Cant adjust screen brightness whilst on mains supply

Hi everyone, I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows 7 and have the following problem. I always use my laptop plugged into the mains as the battery effectively died a couple of years ago. Now for some reason I can no longer change the screen brightness (it stays fairly dim), i`d usually just use Fn and up/down arrows. However when I pull the power cord out so the laptop is running on whats left of the battery (it will last about 15mins) I can adjust the brightness as usual and it lights up fine. Then put the power cord in and straight away it dims and cant be adjusted. Weird huh?
    I`ve tried all the settings via the control panel and right clicking to use the personalise settings and power managment etc and nothing works. I thought maybe my power adapter/charger was faulty and not putting out enough juice to illuminate the screen so I tried another one but it made know difference. Removing the battery also made no difference.
    Any thoughts? It would be a massive help if someone knew how to cure this problem.
    Many thanks.

Hi

Welcome to Help2Go

I'm not sure what the issue could be, looks like other users have had similar problems so a few links below that I discovered maybe worth a look for you.

Dell Inspiron 1720 odd issue (Symptom/Solution) Vista - Computer Hardware Help | DSLReports Forums

Display of Inspiron 1420 deems when I remove external power - Laptop Video Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Thank you so much Joe!! The second link gave me the answer. I had to change the video setting in the BIOS. Pressing the F2 key along with the "power on" key during start up took me to a blue screen that I never knew exsisted!! And from there was options to adjust the brightness in the video section.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, you`ve saved me the hasstle and expense of taking my laptop to a computer repair place.

From all of us @ the Help2Go Team!

You're Welcome mrpercy

Joe