Default duplicate files in My Documents Office 2007

I am running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit with 2 GB ram. When I look in My Documents I have double of everything, pics, docs, excel files, etc. This is Windows Office 2007. This is on a home built computer. It is not like my other computers that only show single entries. What is wrong and how do I correct it?

Thanks.

Are you sure you have two of everything, or is one a shortcut? When you look at the properties of two duplicate files, are the file types, locations, sizes and time stamps the same?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

There is not two of EVERYTHING, it may be about 10-15% of all the files. They have the same file size, file extension, date/time stamp. What do you mean by "locations"? They all reside in the "My Documents" folder under the root folder "Documents". Some are jpg, doc, docx, zip, html, and so forth. I did notice if I had duplicates, and there were shortcuts of the same file, there are duplicates of both the file and the shortcut.

They don't appear to have any common features, like they are used in a web page for instance.

Do you sync your computer with another device, or perhaps with "cloud" (Internet) storage?

How many duplicates? If a few, I would just work my way through and manually delete the dup. If many, you may need to use duplicate file finder program like Auslogics Duplicate File Finder. HOWEVER, I caution not to get overzealous deleting dups and I would not purge your recycle bin until you are sure nothing broke.

Also, you need to determine if dups are still being created. If so, that's another problem that needs to be addressed.

Have you scanned for malware?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────