tlp

Default acer aspire 5000 win xp unexpected shut off

My Acer Aspire 5000 with windows xp shuts down when trying to update to sp3. The history is this. The laptop was running sow slowly that it was not usable. So reinstalled the operating system using original discs (Windows xp sp2). Since then when trying to update to sp3 the computer shuts off after about 10 minutes of going through the download process. When rebooting, a blue screen comes up that says one od your discs needs to be checked for consistancy before rebooting windows. What is wrong and how can it be fixed?

Blog Entries

You may try to run chkdsk from Windows Recovery Environment & then try to boot to the desktop normally.

Follow the steps from this link to boot into Windows Recovery Environment and open the command prompt.

For more information, follow the section ‘To open the System Recovery Options menu on your computer’ from this link.

In the command prompt window, type ‘chkdsk /r’and press Enter.
    Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts.
    Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

=======================================

You probably need to update the IE Browser version first; to get the updates correctly...usually patience and waiting for Windows Auto up dates is a solution too

You need Windows installer too
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=25

Though XP SP3 aggregates all of the previously-released XP fixes

Microsoft now says that you will need to install at least SP1 (or SP1a) on XP before installing SP3.

The company recommends installing SP2 first as well, though that is not required.

Note: the following operating systems cannot be updated using SP3:
    Windows XP Professional x64
    Windows XP Embedded
    Last edited by abseh1; 11-29-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

tlp

Thanks. I've tried all of this and the problem still exists. This is frustrating. What else can I do? There has got to be a fix available.

Using IE8 and automatic updates come through automatically.
    Last edited by tlp; 12-11-2012 at 02:47 PM.