tlp

Default Replacing program icon to program files list

I dragged a program icon to the desktop to create a shortcut. After doing so, I noticed that the program icon is no longer available in start>programs>games list. How can I return it to the list so that if it gets deleted from the desktop it is not lost?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Right click on the desktop icon and let us know the type of file it is ... (in the general tab). From there we should be able to figure out what happened. The normal procedure to create a short cut is right click on the program icon > send to > desktop (shortcut).

When you drag a program icon to the desktop, that does not create a shortcut to the program file, it moves the program file to the desktop. In fact, when you clicked and started to drag that icon, you should have seen a text box appear saying it was a "move". The correct process to create a shortcut on your desktop is as Canuck showed, right click on the program icon > send to > desktop (shortcut).

Note too, when you start to drag an icon around, if, while still dragging, you press the Ctrl, you should see the text field change to indicate you are now copying the file, and not moving (deleting from original location) it.

That said, you DON'T want to move program files to your desktop - you only want to create shortcuts to them.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────