Thread: No boot

Default No boot

Hi, firstly please forgive me because I've brought this problem to you previously, and please excuse my ignorance. I have a laptop, Advent Modena M201 Blue, running windows 7 Home edition. The previous problem was an internet adaptor error, I managed to rectify this with your help, thank you so much. Now the laptop just won't boot. I've attempted a rescue but I'm given a message that says Windows is unable to repair the error, the error message I'm getting is as follows:

Last successful boot - 01/12/2012, 3 repair attemps. System disc = \device\harddisk0 Number of root causes = 1. Root cause found - a recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting. System files integrity check & repair failed, error code = 0x490.

Just recently Windows7 Home edition was re-installed on the system, it was a genuine original disc & seemed to activate with no problems, but would this action of re-installation cause the boot failure? Also a internet adapter driver was installed - Realtek RTL8191SE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

Please could you respectfully advise? Thank you for your time.

Blog Entries

I suggest that you set your computer to clean boot to check if any of the Third party services running the background could be causing this issue.

Here are the steps to set the computer to clean boot:

How to perform clean boot on the computer running Windows Vista/Win7
    1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
    3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
    5. Click OK.
    6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
    7. After the computer starts, check if the issue is fixed.

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:
    How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

If you can isolate one service that is selected when the problem occurs, that service is the one that causes the problem. If you determine that a service is causing the problem Normal startup mode following the steps under ‘Reset the computer to start as usual’.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post: