Default 2 repair shops saying different problem with my laptop??

I would be really grateful if anyone could offer me any advice.
    The screen on my laptop recently started flickering and making a low buzzing noise and then sometimes go black altogether. Although if you shone a torch on it you could see all the icons and move the cursor to turn it off.
    Anyway, I took it to a repair shop and they said it needed a new screen and quoted a reasonable sounding price but I decided to get a second opinion and took it somewhere else. The second man said it was the graphics card. I don't know much about computers but aren't these two separate issues? How come they're saying different things?
    The second issue now is that since I picked the laptop up from the second man the problem is worse and there's now a new problem where the cursor will not move at all. I've tried enabling the mouse but nothing happens.
    Has anyone got any idea what the initial flickering screen problem could be and also why the cursor may suddenly stop working?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Blog Entries

When booting is the screen clear and normal to read?
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Yeah soon as I turn it on it all starts normally but then the screen just goes black. It was still working normally but with a dark screen until I took it to the second repair man now the cursor won't move so I can't even turn it off

I took it to a repair shop and they said it needed a new screen and quoted a reasonable sounding price but I decided to get a second opinion and took it somewhere else. The second man said it was the graphics card.
    I think they are both wrong and you provided the proof! The fact you could see the Desktop when you shined the flashlight ("torch" on your side of the Big Pond) indicates the monitor and graphics cards are both good. The problem is the backlighting is not and that typically implies the CCFL (florescent bulb if not using LED backlighting) is bad, or the inverter is bad - or both. The buzzing suggests to me the inverter is the problem - but it is common to just replace both.

Replacing the inverter and CCFL bulb are fairly easy. Parts typically cost $50 to $150 (depending on screen size and parts availability), and it should take 1 hour, no more than 2 hours labor - though many places have a flat rate for inverter/CCFL replacement because it is a common fix.

The problem now is, what happened at the 2nd shop that now it does not work at all? I don't know, but it may just be a power problem due to the inverter.

Note another way to test the graphics card is to connect an external monitor to the notebook. If you can see a normal display on the external monitor, the computer itself and its graphics solution are good and again, it points to the notebook monitor - and again, in this case (with the torch results) the inverter.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Yeah I think didn't really trust either of their diagnosis hence me seeking an opinion on here. Just a bit with what to do now as don't how to fix it myself and not sure where to take it now as they charge for diagnosis most people and I'm not having much luck with repair men! Really appreciate the replies on here, thanks

not sure where to take it now as they charge for diagnosis
    That's normal. It really takes little skill, capability or time to fix a computer. The advanced skills, time, knowledge, training and experience of the technician (what you really are paying for) are put to task troubleshooting the problem to determine what exactly needs fixing. That said, reputable shops will apply the diagnostic charges to repair fee.

Since the second shop already said it was the graphics, did you already pay for that diagnostics? I might take it back there, but tell him the torch trick indicates the graphics card (integrated to the motherboard, most likely since it is a notebook) is good - verifiable with an external monitor.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Parker - this thread has been dormant for over 2 1/2 months. Dredging up old threads serves no purpose and wastes time and bandwidth. Please note the timestamps of the last replies before adding your comments.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────