Thread: Windows 8

Default Windows 8

What is the help2go verdict on this? Is it worth upgrading or should i stick with Windows 7? My main concern is Windows 8 seems to be based on touch screen technology and my experience of this has not been good. My local computer shop are offering a trade in deal so i have a chance to get about 30% off. I like the idea of having a lightweight USB 3 laptop but i'm not sure about changing to a system i know very little about.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Blog Entries

Note: I use Win 8Pro and Win 8 as Pro...interchangeable in this post
    Win 8 is a completely different OS...I will only be discussing Win 8 Pro in this post

The question is somewhat subjective....but the bottom line is I like Win 8 much better

I look @ the UI (Metro) as a Start menu....but, I usually click the Desktop App (switches you to the desktop) and all seems as Win 7...except no start button

It will take a few days to get comfortable...but worth it in performance (IMHO)

There is no need to rush into Windows 8 at the moment but if you fancy it, it is certainly worth a go. You don't lose much – you lose the start menu – and there are compensations.

First, you get access to thousands of new tablet-style apps from the Windows Store, many of them free.

Second, you get a more efficient version of Windows 7, which starts up quicker, runs faster and provides better battery life. Any PC that runs Windows 7 should run Windows 8 even better.

Third, the new user interface guidelines don't just apply to Windows 8 but also to Windows Phone, online applications such as SkyDrive and websites such as MSN.com

The main disadvantage is that the new start screen is designed for "touch first" operation, which you have not got.

As it turns out, it is not that hard to use Windows 8 without a touch-sensitive screen but it may take you a few days to get used to it.

The mouse still works and you can still find things just by typing a few characters, as in Windows 7. The Windows keyboard shortcuts are also useful.

============================================================================================================
    Upgrading tips

I recommend Win 8 PRO ...it is better than Win 8 @ the same price until Jan 31 2013 ($39 US)...need to download a ISO on-line and burn a disk or USB flash

You can download Media Center after installing Win 8 Pro for free... for awhile too

Before you download Windows 8, check that you have created a Windows 7 installation disc and that you have backed up all your programs and data (which Windows 7 makes easy).

Upgrades sometimes go wrong and after trying Windows 8 you may decide you don't like it: it's important to have a backup.

I have been using it since 26 Oct 12...I have a very good Desktop...but if you are running Win 7...It should be better than Win 7

Other members may have different opinions...but I hope that helps some...abs
    Last edited by abseh1; 12-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

5. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts

Knowing at least some of the Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts will make your Windows 8 experience much more enjoyable. Try to memorize these top Windows 8 shortcut keys.

• Press the Windows key to open the Start screen or switch to the Desktop (if open).
    • Press the Windows key + D will open the Windows Desktop.
    • Press the Windows key + . to pin and unpin Windows apps on the side of the screen.
    • Press the Windows key + X to open the power user menu, which gives you access to many of the features most power users would want (e.g. Device Manager and Command Prompt).
    • Press the Windows key + C to open the Charms.
    • Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings, which is the same Settings found in Charms.
    • Press and hold the Windows key + Tab to show open apps.
    • Press the Windows key + Print screen to create a screen shot, which is automatically saved into your My Pictures folder.

See our Windows shortcuts page for a full listing of all Windows shortcuts.

CREDITS: Computer Hope

7. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks abseh1
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

Blog Entries

Your welcome and good luck....whatever you chose...abs