Default Not sure where to post this/ "Port scan detected and blocked"

In the last two months we have been getting this message ("Port Scan Detected and Blocked") on two different computers in my home, with two different anti virus software programs. We are very concerned about this message, and would like to know if there is a way to verify that our computers haven't been compromised and keep them safe into the future. I have used your sight many times over the years, so I've tried mostly all of the steps listed under the spyware/adware forum. I have Bitdefender, super Anti Spyware, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (paid for) and installed on my computer. My mother's computer (on the same network) has AVI or AVG, not sure which one, and Super Anti-Spyware, and Malwarebytes on her computer. I know I'm probably posting in the wrong spot, but I can't seem to post in the other. I didn't originally think it was an issue as the anti virus software says it blocked the attempt, but I wasn't aware that my mother was also having the same issue, and in the last few days its been happenning repetitively. Please help.

Dawn
    Dawn A Nelson

Hi horsinround,

We have the spyware forum closed for Holiday, that's why you could not post there. Your issue seems to be related to bit defender although yours is odd in that it occurs across 2 computers. Could you review the link below first and see if that sheds any light for you. Please let us know, and tell us what router make your using.

Falsely Detect Port Scan Attempt - Bitdefender Forum

It does shed some light on it, but it still makes me wonder why my mother would be getting the same messages with a different anti-virus program. I changed the settings on my Bitdefender firewall and haven't seen the message since. I am on Comcast, and we have a Netgear signal repeater for the upstairs computers (one of them is mine). We've always had problems maintaining a wireless signal with our Comcast modem and router downstairs. Its also rather wierd that my problem only seems to have begun this last November and I have the latest BD release. I'm vigilant about keeping everything up to date and running regular scans, though. If either of us have any more issues I will let you know, and thank you for your response.
    Dawn A Nelson

In the last two months we have been getting this message ("Port Scan Detected and Blocked")
    What program on your computer gives you that message? It's bit defender right? If mom does not have bit defender installed how could she get the same error.....

Should we reset the router to factory defaults, and re- do the settings? That would be all that I could think of for now.
    Last edited by zep516; 12-26-2012 at 11:08 PM.

It is not just Bit Defender users experiencing this.

Note: ESET
    Symantec
    Sophos

Understand this warning is telling you something is scanning your ports, but has been blocked. That is not saying you have been compromised, or that this is an attack. It could simply be another computer or networked device on your own network trying to join your home or workgroup.

That said, since it could be a nosy neighbor wizkid (if this is a wireless network) or a badguy with malicious intent trying to access your computers, it is wise to be cautious.

I have Bitdefender, super Anti Spyware, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (paid for) and installed on my computer. My mother's computer (on the same network) has AVI or AVG, not sure which one, and Super Anti-Spyware, and Malwarebytes on her computer.
    That's all good (as long as they are not all running/scanning in real-time at the same time. But what about a firewall as ports is what firewalls protect?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────