Default Laptop powerless

Hi, please could someone advise me...? I have a laptop, Hewlett Packard G61 410SA. I have no power whatsoever to the laptop. I've tried other power leads that I know work, I've plugged them into the laptop but still the laptop won't power up. Could this be a battery failure or a motherboard failure? I'm thinking that even if the battery was faulty, surely if I ran the laptop off the electric it should still power up, but there's nothing...dead! Could it be the battery or could it indeed be a motherboard error? Thank you for your time.

Hi Number7,

Unplug the adapter from the laptop and remove the battery, then press the power button for 3-5 minutes. Plug the adapter back in. Does it work?

Do you know if the battery is completely dead? If the above works, reinstall the battery to see if it will charge.

If the above does not work, check the port where you plug the adapter into. Does it wiggle even a tiny bit? If so, it may have disconnected from the MoBo. That's not good and it will have to be taken to a repair shop to be soldered back on or replaced.

What happened that may have caused this? Was it dropped? Power surge?

Mine was hit by lightning once and I had to replace the whole MoBo, adapter and port. Zapped it real good!

Here's a really good link for troubleshooting:

Laptop Won't Power On - Troubleshooting a AC/DC Adapter Problem and Laptop Power Connector

Keep me informed to how it goes.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi DonnaB, sorry for taking so long to reply. I did as you advised me & unplugged the power supply, removed the battery, and kept the power button on the laptop pressed for more than 5 minutes. I then plugged the power lead back into the laptop (there was no wiggle) a tiny light came on the laptop where the power lead plugs into the port, I then pressed the power button. As soon as I pressed the power button, after two seconds the tiny light went out but the laptop won't turn on. I replaced the battery, plugged in the power lead & again the tiny light came on but when I pressed the power button the light went out? Any further advice...pleeeeeze?

Hi Number7,

No problem on the delay.

I then plugged the power lead back into the laptop (there was no wiggle) a tiny light came on the laptop where the power lead plugs into the port, I then pressed the power button. As soon as I pressed the power button, after two seconds the tiny light went out but the laptop won't turn on. I replaced the battery, plugged in the power lead & again the tiny light came on but when I pressed the power button the light went out?
    But! That could be a problem! Not good either. Something is shorting the power out.

Did you try to power up the laptop with only the battery after you pressed the power button for over 5 minutes? Is there any type of indicator on the battery itself that shows if it has a charge?

The fact is, the power short is bad enough to put your power supply (adapter) into protective mode (instead of bursting into a ball of flame) which can be an indication that you have a serious problem with the computer and not the adapter. The power light next to the adapter port should stay on.

I suspect one of the chips on the MoBo. You may need a new one. Personally, I believe this is a job for a tech at your local computer repair shop unless you know how to replace a motherboard. Cost me around $200 USD's to fix.

We can wait for a second opinion from one of the other devoted members if you'd like. This is just a gut feeling from my own experiences.

Sorry I didn't have good news for you.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi DonnaB, thank you for the kind advice. You kind of confirmed my initial suspicians. A new motherboard here in England would be approximately 80 - 120 plus. I'll check to see if the battery might work following holding the power button for 5 minutes, and without plugging in the power lead as advised, but I think this may prove futile. Thank you for the help & advice regardless. I wish you, and all the other devoted members a blessed, healthy, peaceful, and successful 2013, God bless you all.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
    A new motherboard here in England would be approximately 80 - 120 plus.
    Battery rumors and holding a power button for five minutes do nothing useful. You can replace parts on speculation. Or discover what is and is not defective before replacing anything. Best answers start with a multimeter sold even in Maplin for 7.

In your case, with the meter set to its 20 VDC scale, touch probes to the outer and inside contacts on that power supply connector. Then read resulting numbers. Only that number says anything useful about the supply.

Repeat that on battery contacts. What voltage is the battery at?

Compare (and report) numbers from the meter to what the power supply lable and battery label say those voltages should be. Without those meter numbers, then every reply is only wild speculation. Replace this or replace that and then hope it solves the problem.

Posting numbers here means the few who really know hardware can provide assistance. Only speculation is possible without those numbers.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to westom For This Useful Post:

westom, very well stated and true. Thanks