Default Lost built in webcam on my laptop

Hi All..

Hope someone can help me on this. I recently purchased an HP Envy DV7. It was loaded with the Windows 8 (ugh)... OS. I was planning to use Skype to chat with my grandkids at Christmas and as it was already pre-loaded, thought there would be no problem going online with it. When I clicked on the Skype "tile" in the start menu, it kept trying to link my Skype account with my Hotmail Contacts, which I did not want to do. My Hotmail account is for mostly work contacts so no need to add them to Skype. My son was able to figure out that I could download Skype off of their website onto my "desktop". I did so, and it appeared to work okay off of my desktop. On Christmas Day connected with my grandkids.. only they said they couldn't see me... and I noticed that it said there was no camera connected. Luckily we were able to connect using Skype on my iPad, which solved the immediate problem.

But now, I'd like to be able to use my laptop the next time we chat... and I still can't find the camera. It simply disappeared... I've checked "devices" clicked on the camera "tile" on the start page and get the same message that there is no camera connected.

Help! Where did my camera go and how can I get it back.

Also, I had set up my passwords to work off of my fingerprint, but that finger print recognition program has crashed twice and I have had to set it back up several times.. any idea what causes it to crash?

Thanks for any and all help offered. I'm pretty much a doofus when it comes to PCs.. so please be patient with me if you have a solution...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you All.

Carmel

tcarmel, i have no idea, sorry! If it was a brand new computer, try to contact tech support from HP. You should have some term of free tech support. good luck.

Member Spyware Fighter

Hello,

If this is new out of the box from the store bought laptop then I would contact HP immediately. This could be a laptop problem. I purchased a new laptop once got it out of the box started it up got it loaded and then immediately got a hard drive error. It turned out to be a faulty hard drive. they replaced it free of charge a brand new laptop. I'm not saying this is the problem your having , but I would contact HP.
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

Thanks fireman but I don't think that's the problem. I've had it for a little over month and the cam appeared to be working fine until I set up my
    Skype account. I think it must have something to do with Skype.

Thanks, Crash. if there was somebody out there who understands Windows 8 and could at least point me in the direction of where to find the webcam, I think I could figure out the rest. Apparently the Windows 8 OS baffles even the experts. :-(

Member Spyware Fighter

Hello,

If your laptop is under a yr old you should be able to get free help from HP. This is probable a Compatibility issue with the driver for the camera and Skype. Contacting them should be free for the first year. They may have even released a fix for this already.

You can also look here for a solution. Under the driver and software they may have an updated driver for the camera already. If not there is other options they all should be free for your laptop if it is under a year old.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-