Default hard drive backup

My laptop got wet, and I dont want to lose the data on that hard drive, so I removed it before attempting to boot with it. I bought a SATA to USB converter, and the clean computer recognizes 207.6GB of data out of 232GB of space on that hard drive. But when I right click to copy and paste to a different external drive or the clean computer itself, it only copies 800MB of data. I receive a popup that says I need admin rights at some points, but it never asks me for the password to either computer. Am I forced to boot with this hard drive?

If someone with more computer knowledge could confirm that I have an unsolvable problem, that would also be helpful. Then I could quit checking here for responses. Thanks in advance.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi jwep, sorry for the delay. What are you trying to copy? You won't be able to copy programs but data files should move OK. I'm not sure I'm following you, is it a new laptop with it's own operating system or is it the old one with a new hard drive, and if so have you installed windows on it?

I'm not an expert on this, so I ask for your patience to allow others to respond.

I have 2 laptops, lets call them (a) and (b). Both were fully operational, running windows 7, but laptop (a) got wet. I did not want to lose the data on (a)'s hard drive, so I physically removed it. I purchased a SATA to USB converter to transfer (a)'s data to (b) to back it up.

Blog Entries

If you ran it wet....the disk is probably bad now

The water on the disks makes grooves that are irreparable
    ==========================================
    Not your issue but this goes hand in hand with the freezing a HDD myth
    (both cases are water damaged grooves)

Please do not start a myth thread...this is just IMHO

It may even make it unrecoverable via a recovery company

Watch the video to the end you will see the grooves damage via water damage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad1uVAB5bNA

The reason that the myth of freezing a HDD is a bad idea...because it sweats water and causes bad grooves

I know....some will say they have fixed a HDD via freezing ....but so have , on occasion, hitting the hdd with a hammer or simply bang the HD works.... sometimes

Wet and frozen HDD's are destined to groove damage
    Last edited by abseh1; 01-11-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer