Default Vista Laptop - Wireless network adapter won't wake up

Whenever my laptop goes into hibernation, it won't connect to the internet when it wakes up. I have to reset the network adapter. Is that anybody that can help with that please?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Hello MickKnipfler,

The first thing I would do is make sure i have the latest drivers for the adapter from the OEM's website (or NIC manufacturer if you built the machine yourself).

Failing that, you could try to disable the way Windows controls your device in different power states. Open up Device Manager (start menu > run > devmgmt.msc > press "OK). Once in the device manager find your adapter under "Network Adapters". Right click your device and select properties. once in the properties window click the "power management" tab and UNcheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Apply the settings and do a restart. After restart, put the machine in a standby or hibernate mode and then wake the computer. Better results?

More information on the option you disabled in device manager is found here: Information about power management setting on a network adapter . Although the site mentions Windows 7 this was also true for Vista.

Regards,

Partie