Default JAVA warning on the news?

Any truth in this this?

I know I have the most recent versions on the computers but should it be deleted as recommended?

Kathy

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

From all accounts, there is a chance that JAVA can be exploited by bad people. Here are the instructions for disabling the program How do I disable Java in my web browser?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks. I wanted to be sure that the media was not putting everyone in a panic mode. I have disabled it on all the computers and will peruse those links you gave me Donna!

I note the United States Department of Homeland Security recommends disabling it! That's good enough for me!

Homeland Security CERT Vulnerability Note VU#625617 - Java 7 fails to restrict access to privileged code
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

New version is out ....Version 7 Update 11

If you feel you need it....I am not recommending.... JFYI
    Download Free Java Software
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Member Spyware Fighter

Oracle has a released an update that fixes the widely publicized security hole in their Java software. This update brings Java to version 7 Update 11 and fixes two security holes found in previous versions of the software that affected Java running in web browsers. This update also changes the default Java Security Level from Medium to High. With Java being set to High, Java will always prompt you as to whether you want to run an unsigned Java applet or a Java Web Start application.

As the security hole being patched is currently in use by various Crime Kits to exploit and access your computer it is imperative that all users install this update. To install the update, please uninstall all versions of Java by using the Windows Add or Remove Programs or Uninstall Programs control panel. Then install version 7 update 11 using the the following link associated with the bit-type of Windows you are using:

Windows Offline Java Installer(32-bit)
    Windows Offline Java Installer (64-bit)

If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows and use both 32-bit and 64-bit web browsers, then you will need to install both versions. If you are on a 32-bit version of Windows or only use 32-bit web browsers, then you only need to install the 32-bit file.
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

it is imperative that all users install this update.
    Or not! While having Java installed does bring some features to your machines, most users do not really need Java at all. If you need or want Java, then by all means, install this latest update. But if you don't need or want Java, don't install Java!

My advice is don't install it until you need it - then make sure you have the latest version.
    Last edited by Digerati; 01-14-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Change that. Homeland Security warns Java still poses risks after security fix | ZDNet

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has reiterated its warning to Java users that the widely used Web plug-in still poses risks for Internet users, even after Oracle patched the software to prevent hackers from exploiting a zero-day vulnerability.
    Security experts on Java: Fixing zero-day exploit could take 'two years' | ZDNet
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────