Default Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic Tool problem

Okay, so I'm trying to test my Toshiba MK4026GAX hard drive with the Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic Tool (Windows Diagnostic Tool Ver. 1.12
    (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives) that I downloaded from their site. I run it, it has my HDD listed, but I can't select it! So when I click Short Test or Extended Test I get an error "Please select the target drive to test." What's the point of their diagnostic tool if it won't let me test their drive?

That's pretty confusing. Under Software Name, it says for IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives but under Description, it says "It is only designed for use with Fujitsu Branded Toshiba ATA/IDE hard drives".

Your drive is IDE but still, the inconsistent documentation does not lead to any confidence. If me, I might create a bootable disk and run the DOS version.

That said, why are you trying to run diagnostics? Have you run Error-checking from the Tools menu for the drive in Windows, or chkdsk /r from a command prompt in Windows?

Also, you might try SeaTools. Though designed primarily for Seagate/Maxtor drives, it will work on any brand.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Windows Expert IT Pro, 2007 - 2014

I'm running all sorts of diagnostics because my HDD is bad. I already tried Error-checking from the Tools menu and chkdsk /r in the Windows XP Recovery Console. They both get stuck on about 64% or so and don't go any further. When I run the diagnostics in the F12 boot menu, I get "Start DST Short Test Error Code 1000-0146". I can still get to Windows but it stops loading websites after about 3 mins on a freshly installed Windows XP SP3.

They both get stuck on about 64% or so and don't go any further.
    How long did you let it run? Note it can take many hours and often seem to be stuck. The Start DST Short Test Error Code 1000-0146 does indicate a disk problem. Note all disk drives will fail - eventually. And since this is a pretty old drive, it sounds like that is what happened to you. I think it is time to replace the drive.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

I had to reinstall Win XP because I got this error: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    C:\windows\system32\config\system". After I got windows to load again, I suspected the problem was with the hard drive, so yeah that's what made me try all the diagnostics. I got another HDD on the way! Thanks.

I got another HDD on the way!
    I think that is smart. Even if you could clear the errors, it is likely before long, more would come.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────