Question Word Doc VS Microsoft Word

My favorite pc is set up with Windows XP but it is slowly becoming obsolete. I have since bought a second-hand PC with Windows VISTA. I know thats about obsolete as well, but I can't afford a new one yet.
    The problem I'm having is that my VISTA won't open my word docs that I have on discs from my XP. Is there a setting in there somewhere that will help? Everything that is in word doc is scrambled in my VISTA.
    Is there a way I can have both Microsoft Word and Word Doc in my VISTA?

Thanks for any help you can give me
    alyce

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi alsprink,

If you have a copy of MS Word (MS Office) you should be able to install it on a Vista PC. However, if you don't have a copy of it, try Open Office , it's a free word etc package and should read your XP word files ... note, Open Office by default will save documents in its own format unless you select Save As in either .doc (older version of word) or .docx (the latest versions). Are the files you're trying to open in the .doc format? If so, you should be able to open the .doc format and then save it in .docx.

Hope this helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

thanks so much Canuck. I will print this info and give it a try.

Or, if you don't have a legal copy of Word or Office to install on the Vista machine, and don't want to deal with Open Office, you can always use the official Microsoft Word Viewer.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────