Default how to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP

I have a Dell Latitude with 1.95 GB of RAM. Running XP.

Should I upgrade to W7 or wait for W8?
    What is involved with upgrading? I don't want to lose files,bookmarks, etc.
    Is this something a "pro" should do?

Member Spyware Fighter

Here is a good place to start.

For Windows 7
    Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

For Windows 8
    Upgrade to Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

These will tell you if your current system can even handle them or not.
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

Windows 7 will handle my laptop. however it says that Microsoft.NET framework 1.1 is not compatible. Is this important?

Member Spyware Fighter

You don't need Microsoft .Net framework 1.1 . Microsoft.Net framework 3.5 comes with Windows7. You will however need to remove it before hand using .Net framework cleanup tool. If your doing a complete wipe and install of Windows7 instead of an upgrade you don't need to use it.
    Last edited by fireman4it; 01-19-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: grammar
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

I have a Dell Latitude with 1.95 GB of RAM. Running XP.

Should I upgrade to W7 or wait for W8?
    "Wait" for W8? Windows 8 is out so not sure what you mean by "wait". Nevertheless, should you upgrade? IMO, no! XP was designed as a backwards-looking operating system, designed to support legacy hardware and software from years before. And it was designed with security, almost as an afterthought (because broadband was almost non-existent and most home computers were not "connected" or exposed to Internet badguys).

Windows 7 (and W8) was designed as a forward-looking operating system, designed to support current and future hardware and software, and in today's hostile security environment the badguys have put us in.

Even if your XP era hardware will run with W7, W7 and the necessary security programs you need to run need lots of RAM to run in. While your nearly 2Gb is technically enough, it is not likely you will see any improved performance with W7, and in fact, you may be disappointed - as many upgraders of legacy hardware have been.

So my advice is to wait until budget allows you to run Windows 7 on new hardware designed from the start to run Windows 7 (or W8).

I don't want to lose files,bookmarks, etc.
    There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Windows 7. You MUST perform fresh install. That means you will lose your files, bookmarks, etc. unless you back them up first, then restore them later.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────