Thread: Password block

Default Password block

Please can you help me? A friend of mine has asked me to look at her laptop because the password keeps failing. She was given the laptop for Christmas, she put in a password which worked the very first time she used it, since then the password fails every time, and no matter how many ways she types in the password, she keeps getting the error mesage: 'incorrect password'. I can confirm this as I have been trying to fix it for her this afternoon (Sunday). The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C855 1TC, with Windows 8 When she, and I, have attempted to change the password, we're asked for the password rescue disk, when the laptop was bought there were no discs that came with it. I understand that, because it is a new laptop she could of course take it back to the shop where it was bought but I'd like to try & make it right for her first. Please could you help? Thank you for your time.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Not sure how she set it up but Windows 8 prefers to use the Microsoft account (formerly Live ID).
    You can follow these options here: Error: Incorrect email or password when signing in to a Windows Phone with a Microsoft account definitely recommend resetting her hotmail or whatever other Microsoft (or Live ID) service password.

Failing that, if it's that new and she doesn't have any necessary data on the drive you can always restore to factory defaults (like new).

I'm not assigning blame or assuming guilt, however, when it comes to passwords I always feel it necessary to mention that Help2Go doesn't assist in cracking or circumventing authentication mechanisms. I hope you understand when replying or requesting further assistance with this issue.

Regards,

Partie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PartieHonteuse For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your help. Please could you advise how I restore to factory settings, and will this delete or affect the windows 8 OS? Thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator

No problem. Can you tell me what model laptop?

Hi, Yeah its a Toshiba satellite C855 1TC

Member Help2Go Moderator

Luckily, according to the manual, you can still reinstall the operating system as they have a hidden partition for recovery.

http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-...0510144951.zip

Follow page 4-19.

Simply turn off computer. While HOLDING DOWN the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard, power on the computer. A menu will display which will allow you to restore the computer. I'm not sure what options they give as I've never seen it but I'd recommend selecting whichever option means "factory restore"

Please note that ALL data will be lost on the computer. It will return to "factory state". Meaning, it'll be all brand new and shiny just as if she purchased it today. Also, when done recovering I'd recommend creating the backup discs as well in case of hard drive failure in the future she will have no way to restore windows without purchasing a retail disk or buying the recovery media direct from manufacturer.

Edit: forgot to answer your question in regards to "will this delete or affect the Windows 8 OS". The answer is no. It will delete the current installation as it stands but will completely restore the operating system and all applications that came WITH the computer.

Good luck,

Partie
    Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 01-20-2013 at 11:50 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PartieHonteuse For This Useful Post: