Default graphics card types

Hi All, Could anyone help me please, i need to put in a graphics card but not sure which type to buy, inside my computer there are 3 white slots part of them is long then a thin block type then a short bit and there is a brown one which has a long slot thin block type then a short bit after, i think this one is for agp cards but not sure what the white ones are for, when i searched for graphics cards there seem to be 2 types a pci or a pci-e could anyone advise me please. kind regards jim

Hi jimlee38,

I'll just provide at this time some pictures and information for you at the following links below,

How to Identify Motherboard Video Card Slots

Motherboard Video Card Slots - What Does My Computer Have?

How to identify what slot type a particular PC card is? - Super User

LaCie - LaCie Coat Laptop 15

https://www.google.com/search?q=moth...niv&sa=X&ei=PW

That should give you a good idea of what you have, and our Hardware person can elaborate more on this for you, should you have any detailed questions.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

i think this one is for agp cards but not sure what the white ones are for, when i searched for graphics cards there seem to be 2 types a pci or a pci-e
    Some information about your system would help - such as brand and model number of the computer, or motherboard if custom built, current graphics solution, and amount of RAM. If not sure, a program like Speccy from the makers of CCleaner, may be able to tell you.

Note there is no industry standard for color coding expansion slots. So white, brown, orange, blue really does not mean anything without knowing the specific board.

There are 3 common interfaces or types of boards. AGP, PCI, and PCIe (PCI Express). PCI is the oldest type but since PCI is more or less a universal slot (it also supports sound, network and other type cards) today's motherboards still typically support PCI. The AGP graphics slot replaced PCI graphics as the standard, and then AGP was replaced by PCIe. Do not confuse PCI and PCIe. The are totally incompatible.

Also note that graphics are often the most power hungry devices in our computers - drawing more power than even many CPUs. So it is essential to ensure your power supply is capable of handling the added load and if not, you will need to budget for a new PSU at the same time.

Finally, you say you want to "put in a graphics card". That suggests to me you are currently using integrated graphics (built into the motherboard). While upgrading from integrated graphics to a graphics card is a great way to improve over all system performance, ensuring your system has enough RAM first is more important. Depending on how much RAM you currently have installed now, you typically get more bang for less money by upping your RAM. Plus, since RAM does not consume much power (compared to advanced graphics) your current power supply may not need to be upgraded to add more RAM.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Hi Speccy and Joe, Thank you for your replies, i think it would be better if i bought a up to date base unit (so my wife says!)but thank you for all your advice i`ve printed a copy of the different types of graphics cards just incase. kind regards jim

By far, if your system supports PCIe, that is what you should get as that is the latest and best technology - and offers you the most options. You might also check out Toms Hardware, Best Graphics Cards for the Money, January 2013.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────