Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default keep getting harddrive is full

i keep getting my harddrive is full, but yesterday it wasn`t,i don`t understand how it got full,i didn`t download nothing..thank you

Hi cath555,

Welcome to Help2Go!

What Operating System (OS) is installed?

1.) XP
    2.) Vista
    3.) Windows 7

Please download and install WinDirStat.
    • Click on the desktop icon to run the program.
    • Click on Individual Drives and then click on C: (or whichever drive is your Main Drive)
    • Click on OK
    • When the pacmen have finished there will be a graphic display of your drive.
    • Place your cursor on the divider line between the text above and the color graph below and drag downwards to expand the upper portion of the resultant image produced.
    • Please create a screen shot and attach or upload the image to your next post so I can have a look

If you are unable to attach or upload, you might have to create a photobucket acct. (if you don't have one) and upload there to post the link.

If you have any trouble provided the needed information, please don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thank you!

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 02-06-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

but yesterday it wasn`t
    How much free disk space do you have?

Have you scanned for malware? If so, with what?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

i have windows 7, and no i don`t have malware..it won`t dowload because of no space,,,it says i have 413 mb free of 454gb
    Last edited by cath555; 01-28-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added more

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi Cath555, Please follow Donna's advice and run WinDirStat if your computer allows. This would be the easiest way for you to let us know how the hard drive has been filled. Have you gone into Safe Mode and looked at the free/empty status is? Have you downloaded pictures/videos/ from your camera? These are often very large files (other than programs). You say
    and no i don`t have malware
    how come you're so positive about that ... anti virus programs are not 100%, some malware can get around them and really mess up your PC. If it looks like you have malware, we have some excellent malware/spyware experts that are willing to help (note, we are a volunteer site and any and all help we give is free of charge).

WinDirStat should install. It is merely 733kb's in size. Please let us know if you are able to do so (or not).

Personally, I was wondering if backups might be taking away the free space, but Canuck makes a very good point concerning the pictures, videos, etc. Either way, we need to see what is taking up that space and WinDirStat at this time is the way to see what is taking up the most space on the hard drive.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

i see something about google earth, but that was uninstalled in programs..thank you for your help

,,,it says i have 413 mb free of 454gb
    413 "megabytes" free? Did you mean that? If so, then that is certainly your problem. I generally recommend having at least 30Gb (that's giga, not mega) bytes of free disk space available. Some experts say 30Gb or 10%, whichever is larger - so that would be 45Gb for you.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi cath555,

Thank you!

It appears that whatever is taking up all the space is in the User folder.

Could you please run the program again and click on the little + sign to the left of the User folder to expand, then click on the next little + sign to the left of the User acct that displays where the most space is being taken up?

Please post that screen shot. Below is an image of "my" user account that is expanded within WinDirStat to give you an idea of what I need to see. Your's might have your name on it, or whatever name you decided for your User acct. (profile).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast