Default error message about the version of IE I am using

Compaq Presario running window 7 and IE 8. On some web sites I get a message saying I am running IE 6 and the site does not support IE 6 any longer. I am told to update to a newer version of IE. I think the sites are working ok, but what about the message?

Thanks.

Hi tenny,

Please visit the site below,

Internet Explorer - User-Agent test and override registry scripts

On that page under "Your browser sent the following headers:"

Copy an paste the information it shows you to this thread. Don't click on anything else there.

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 02-04-2013 at 08:07 PM.

I get a message saying I am running IE 6
    I am told to update to a newer version of IE.
    I suspect (a guess really) you are being told you are running IE6 because you have IE8 set to "compatibility mode" which simulates IE6.

Nevertheless, since you are using Windows 7, you should be at IE9 (its faster, better, and most importantly, more secure). So I recommend you download and install IE9 from here, then see if still having problems.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Your browser sent the following headers:
    Connection: Keep-AliveContent-Length: 0Accept: */*Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflateAccept-Language: en-usHost: www.enhanceie.comReferer: http://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launchUser-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)X-Original-URL: /ua.aspx

Hi tenny,

Digerati in post above is correct. I missed that fact, it is in your best interest to up-date to IE 9, because of the reasons Digerati mentions. I suggest you do that. Let us know if the issue resolves itself.

Thanks,

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

The upgrade to IE 9 worked! Thanks for the help. It seems to me the site should be able to tell the difference between IE6, 7, 8, and 9. It must lump 6, 7, and 8 all together.

Quote Originally Posted by tenny View Post
    The upgrade to IE 9 worked! Thanks for the help.
    Great! I am glad that worked and thanks for the followup.
    It seems to me the site should be able to tell the difference between IE6, 7, 8, and 9. It must lump 6, 7, and 8 all together.
    You are right, the site should be able to tell the difference in IE versions, or whether you are using FF or Chrome too. What that typically indicates, however, is that the developers who maintain the software running those sites have (for any number of reasons) failed to maintain the site to current industry standards. The sites are still "tweaked" for IE6 - from when 90% of all browser/Internet users used IE6. IE7 was Microsoft's first big shift to HTML5 standards compliance. Hence the reason Microsoft added Compatibility View to later versions of IE.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: