Default Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop won't boot up Windows

Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop here. When turned on it shows the DELL logo and starts to load the bar but never loads fully and never goes on to load Windows Vista. I tried clicking F2 for setup or F12 for boot menu but doesn't get to that either. Just says "Preparing one-time boot menu.." and stays like that. If I just let it stay like that for a few minutes, the screen goes blank. What's wrong?
    Last edited by redstar306; 02-11-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Blog Entries

How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair

Important: After the Vista Repair
    Do not forget to run Windows Updates several times until up to date again
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

That doesn't work because by default CD/DVD is not first in the boot order and I can't get to F12 boot menu to change that. What else can I do?
    Last edited by redstar306; 02-12-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Sometimes just holding any key down while booting will cause a default error and allow you to access the BIOS and change the boot order

The computer will react to it as a stuck key

I can't even get to the bios, i'm thinking dead cmos battery. Could it be?

Blog Entries

Have you tried the following...
    Ctrl and F11 keys at the same time

If you want to restore your system back to the way it was shipped, when the system boots, immediately press the ctrl and F11 keys at the same time and you will enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility.

More info:
    After you enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility, just follow the instructions and the restore should complete in approximately 8-15 minutes, depending on how much data is to be restored.When the restore is complete and the system reboots, you will need to enter all the user information as you did when you originally started the system.When back to the desktop, you can then install any programs you may have used after you got your system and copy any files that you backed up. " You can get the owners manual from here.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Important...run Windows Updates and be sure you install an antivirus program too

I can't even get to the bios, i'm thinking dead cmos battery. Could it be?
    A bad CMOS battery will not prevent you from entering the BIOS Setup Menu. It can, however, prevent your computer from booting and since they are so inexpensive, replacing it is no major expense. But replacing the CMOS battery on a notebook motherboard can be very technically challenging (well, replacing it is is easy, gaining access to is the challenging part).

I agree that a Recovery may be your only option but note it will destroy any user file you have on the disk. So if you have not backed up your data lately, you may be out of luck there.

If me, and if I had data on the drive I did not want to lose, I would pull the drive from the notebook and install it into an enclosure attached to another computer, or as secondary drive (NOT boot) in another computer, then scan it for malware before backing up my data. Once backed up, you can run diagnostics on the drive.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Member Spyware Fighter

Start tapping F8 when the machine turns on. See if it will get you to Advanced Boot Options?
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post

Have you tried the following...
    Ctrl and F11 keys at the same time

If you want to restore your system back to the way it was shipped, when the system boots, immediately press the ctrl and F11 keys at the same time and you will enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility.
    I did. Nothing happens. I can't get to the Dell Recovery Restore Utility.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4it View Post
    Start tapping F8 when the machine turns on. See if it will get you to Advanced Boot Options?
    Nothing happens when I tap F8.

I think it may be a hardware problem. If not the CMOS battery, then dead motherboard maybe? I can't even get to the bios. For example, Tapping F2 says "Preparing to enter Setup.." and doesn't load, just says that until the screen gets covered with blue pixels then turns black.
    Last edited by redstar306; 02-14-2013 at 11:51 AM.