Thread: Yahoo

Blog Entries

Default Yahoo

I inspected my wife's Dell Inspiron laptop recently to keep it up to scratch. I found that the Yahoo search engine had taken over her browsers and had changed her home page on all her browsers. She uses IE 8, Chrome and Firefox. with Windows Vista, I was able to change her home page back with no problem but I can't find Yahoo to uninstall it. It doesn't show up in Revo uninstaller, CCleaner tools uninstaller or in the Uninstall Programs section of the Control Panel. How do I find it and uninstall it? Any help gratefully received.
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Hi RDL, (waves)

Here's a link with instructions to change the Search Engines in Firefox, IE and Chrome:

How to Change Your Browser's Default Search Engine

Is the Mrs's computer updating ok? IE8 is a tad bit outdated on Vista. IE9 should have come down as an update several months ago. Might want to go to Windows Updates and click on Check for updates to make sure it is up to date.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi -
    2 versions of how to reset your Home Page if that has been altered -
    Link 1 -How To Set Your Browser Homepage in 5 Browsers
    Link 2 - How to change my browsers home page.
    Note that if you use Yahoo Email, they have a link near where you click to check your Inbox to reset your Home Page -

Regards -
    ******************************************************************************************
    XP SP3 Desktop (custom built) - Toshiba laptop Windows 7 SP1 - M.S.E. - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - SuperANTISpyware -

Press F5 if you are waiting for an answer ... There may be one waiting for you ......If not the answer is always 42... or REBOOT...

Blog Entries

Many thanks good people and here's a wave and a hug for you Donna. I made a mistake, it is IE 9 my wife is using. What I can't fathom out is where Yahoo came from, how she downloaded it and where the hell it is hiding on her laptop so I can get rid of it. I have an inbuilt objection to what I call the "space invaders", ie software that takes over the systems of the less experienced computer user. It is too easy to fall for the promises. Only last week my wife was checking a credit card statement to find we had been paying $128 per year for 4 years to an ancestry tracing website. The details used my wife's credit card but my email address and neither of us have any recollection or proof of signing up for anything although we have both used the site. Sorry to waffle on. Thanks again.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

You should have an option to remove those search engines from the lists:

In Firefox:
    • Click on the drop down arrow to display the list of Search Engines.
    • Click on Manage Search Engines...
    • In the Manage Search Engine list, click to highlight the one you want to remove.
    • Click Remove button

In IE:
    • Click on the Tools > Internet Options
    • Under Search click on the Settings button
    • Click on Search Providers then click on Yahoo
      You might have to change the search engine to Google (or whatever your choice of Search Engines might be before removing it).
    • Click the Remove button in the lower right of the screen.

I don't have the Chrome browser installed to try this on, but found the following instructions here

In Chrome:
    • Go to the spanner in Chrome
    • Basics
    • Click the tab Manage Search Engines
    • Highlight Yahoo, press the the X

Let me know if the above helps.

I understand what you are saying about the credit card monthly fee. There are so many scams out that and if you don't read the fine print you end up with charges on your credit card you never knew you opted for. You're not the only one that has happened to so don't feel like you're the alone in this world of fools. I learned the hard way! Could be how Yahoo search engine came to be also. Have to pay very close attention when download something/anything.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

What I can't fathom out is where Yahoo came from, how she downloaded it and where the hell it is hiding on her laptop so I can get rid of it.
    Most likely it was installed (foisted on her system! ) with some free software she installed. It is common practice for free programs to bundle junk (err.. I mean fine programs) with the program as a source of revenue. This is a legitimate practice (if done properly) - as the developers have a Right to fair compensation for their hard work. The alternative is to charge for the program. Ask! Google, Bing, Yahoo toolbars are often installed in this way, as are download managers and other browser add-ons.

It is just the cost of free programs.

By "properly" I mean the user is given the option to "opt-out" of any extras being installed. Sadly, not all programs offer that option, or they hide it.

CCleaner, a very popular disk clean up utility, will install the Yahoo toolbar IF the user does not select the custom install option during CCleaner installation, and purposefully de-select (it is selected by default) the option to install the toolbar. Did she recently install CCleaner or another program from its makers (Piriform)? That may be it.

If the Yahoo toolbar cannot be uninstalled via the Control Panel, you can still disable it, or remove it from IE. In IE9, if you go to Tools > Manage Add-ons, you should be able to see the toolbar there, and disable it.

Alternatively, you can purge IE9 of all add-ons by going to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset... . This will take IE9 back to its default settings, with no add-ons. Actually I recommend this as it will ensure IE is clean of any added junk. She can then add back any add-ons she uses.

To prevent things like this happening in the future, everyone needs to EVERY TIME select the custom install option when installing ANY and EVERY program, then carefully read each step to select any opt-out options. If the program does not allow you to opt-out of extra stuff, hit cancel and go with a competing program.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Thanks folks. All appreciated.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Anytime RDL! I hope our suggestions helped?