Default bootmgr is missing and no operating systems listed in the "system recovery options"

Hi, im new to this site. The real reason why I signed up to this website is because my computer is having some problems. I've been trying to reinstall windows vista using the operating system disc MILLIONS OF TIMES, but whenever nothing comes through I get this message after a failed installation:

"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. ErrorCode 0x800703"

Somehow I get this message after startup "bootmgr is missing ctrl + atl + del". I've trying different steps like using the command prompt and typing all kinds of words like "bootrec.exe, rebuild bcd, fixboot, fixmbr and etc" but none of those are helping.

Also, there no operating system listed in drive C: in the System Recovery Options l've been trying to find that out.

My computer hasn't been working since Jan and I've been navigating for help and instructions ever since I really need my computer back. If anyone or someone who knows how to fix my problem I would gladly appreciate it for doing so. Thank you in advance.

Btw I really don't know if it's the disc itself or the hard drive that is damage or corrupt so someone or anyone tell me why my computer is not working.?

Hi cwroyal88,

My apologies for the delay in responding.

What type of disk are you using to reinstall?

Please try the following:

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when the message indicating Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.
    3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next.
    6. At the System Recovery Options dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.
    7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

If the above procedure fails to resolve the issue then:

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press any key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

enter following commands

bootrec /RebuildBcd
      bootrec /FixMbr
      bootrec /FixBoot

Try installation again. Let me know the results in your next reply.

Thank you,

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

I tried that already nothing happen. It has something to do with the hard drive that corrupted bad memory or the other.

Hi cwroyal88

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800703

See referenced link below for additional information on your topic.

Kevin Marquette - The things I do.: Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800703

You're right it could be the install disk or Hard drive, or even CD ROM drive.....

Joe

Hm...ok. Does the computer boot to Windows at all? How about into the Advanced Boot Options menu?

Could you provide the make and model of the computer, please? I need to know if it's a desk or laptop.

Also, there no operating system listed in drive C: in the System Recovery Options l've been trying to find that out.
    Go back to the command prompt and try the following to see if we can find out why the OS is not found and where it might be:

Open Command Prompt.
    • Type: diskpart
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    • list volume

Under Label, is Windows displayed anywhere at all? If so, please provide the Ltr under which it is found.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

my laptop also have the same problem, so i dd wat u wrote and under ltr is "D' and under type is DVD-ROM, Fs its CDFS

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Hi tebatso and welcome to Help2Go. If you hadn't noticed, you are following up on a year old post. Every computer is different so the 'fix' may be totally different to your problem. Please put in your own words the problem you're experiencing and also let us know what your computer is, the operating system (XP, Vista, or other). Also, please start a new thread and submit it. Our members will be more than happy to help you after you give us your information.