Default Can I install Windows 8 to a flash drive or do I need to make a dual boot system?

I own an Acer laptop that is runing Windows 7. I love Windows 7 and finally made the move from Windows XP but I really like Windows 8. Yet I'm nowhere near ready to make it my only OS. I know one possible option is a dual boot system. If I need to go that route I may be posting again in the future to find out how I can make a dual boot Windows 7/Windows 8 system. Yet I like trying different OS's and already have two USB sticks that are ChromeOS and Ubuntu Linux. I purchase 4GB flash drives and buy the fast drives.
    The question is is it possible to install and then boot from a Windows 8 USB Flash Drive? If so, how would I go about doing this? Also, what is the minimum size USB Flash Drive that could be used? I want at least some room to work with and install apps but it won't be my primary OS. If it's not possible to do this how would I go about making a dual boot system? Already I have a 500GB HD with Windows 7 installed but I believe I'd have to repartition and hope to avoid having to reinstall Windows 7 since I have so many installed apps.
    Thanks for help with the above.

Hi markw10,

If you would like to look further into this I found an interesting link for you, not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind but interesting never the less.

53 - Windows 8 To Go (boot Windows 8 from a USB drive!) - RMPrepUSB

EDIT,

Have a look here too,
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...m-a-usb-stick/

Joe
    Last edited by zep516; 03-18-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Blog Entries

For those who have the newer UEFI BIOS

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows - Page 2

===========
    More Info UEFI
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer