Default IE has stopped working in windows 7

Hi.

I'm looking for some advice regarding IE stopped working in Windows 7.
    This is my son's laptop and i try to help him when i can, but this one has me stumped.
    If we open IE and then try to open tools to changed or at least see the setting it shut
    the window down.
    I suggested that we do a system restore but he is reluctant as he has done a lot of upgrades etc.
    I then said we could try to get into IE in safe mode, but I'm not sure how to get into safe mode.
    Also another issue id that Belarc has suddenly failed to open correctly and i'm convinced it's
    part of the same problem.
    The problem is my son is 900km away from me and not too savvy on the PC (I'm a bit better but still need you guys/gals to guide me)

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Kind regards

Cremora
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2.52GHz, 2.00GB of Ram.Used Space 10.3GB, Free Space 222GB, Capacity 232GB.

He needs to scan for malware.

With W7, he should be running IE10 so he needs to ensure he is using the latest.

Also, most IE problems are caused by misbehaving or conflicting add-ons. To run without add-ons in Windows 7, click on the Start orb and start entering in the search box, Internet Explorer. When you see "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" appear, double-click it and see how that works. Alternatively, I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

You can try a reset of the IE Browser....See Video
    Reset Internet Explorer settings

Here are a few more tips from MS
    Tips for solving problems when Internet Explorer crashes or stops working
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi guys
    Firstly let me apologise for not being in touch, but I was hospitalized for 4 days and i've only just resurfaced.
    My son didn't continue with the instructions as per your request as he has been waiting for me in case he
    gets stuck.
    So thanks to you both digerati and abseh1 and at the first opportunity i will try your suggestions and get back to you.

Once my apologies and please just bear with me.

Regards Cremora
    Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU, E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2.52GHz, 2.00GB of Ram.Used Space 10.3GB, Free Space 222GB, Capacity 232GB.

Blog Entries

cremora

Hope you are well....take care of your health first

Puters are just machines

Take your time and if you need more help...just ask...abs
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi abseh1, digerati and team
    Thanks for the well wishes but i'm on the mend now.
    Regarding the ' IE has stopped working in windows 7 ' issue, we followed all your instructions
    that you advised and with a little juggling everything appears to be back to normal.
    Did the scans, updates, MR.Fixit etc but after all that we were unable to access the tools
    option in 'IE' it was (greyed out) so we tried to access 'IE' via the programmes menu on the desktop.
    That's when we got the option to run in Privacy mode or new tab, we just chose one (not sure which now)
    and that gave us access to the options menu and allowed us to reset to factory settings.
    Once we had everything back to normal we did a further few scans/updates Secunia etc.
    All is fine except Belarc.....it will not run completely and we tried to reinstall the programme but get a
    'not a valid windows 32application error' so we tried to uninstall Belarc and it does not appear in the Windows
    uninstall or in the Ccleaner menu's, deleted it as far as i could in the c:drive programmes etc and removed all
    signs of it but it still refuses to run when downloaded from either Belarc or Major Geeks.
    That appears to be the only problem we have now but there may be others related to this which we haven't
    found yet....
    If you have any further advice i would be only too pleased to hear from you.

Thanks a million everyone and as always i never fail to get satisfaction here with you guys and gals
    Regards Cremora

everything appears to be back to normal.
    Good to hear.

As for your Belarc problem, I suggest you run this and see what happens: Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Hi
    Thanks Digerati for the info, sadly it did not work but it seems as though he is just going to leave it
    as it is and not install Belarc, everything else is back to normal.
    Thanks anyway and thanks to all on the site, i hope it help others a little.
    I think this post is closed now.
    Cheers for now and regards
    Cremora

Sorry it did not help. We will be here if he wants to try again. Thanks for the followup.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────