Exclamation Windows 7 Desktop keeps restarting

We have a dell desktop that is about 2 years old. Two weeks ago i downloaded Switch Sound file converter and Wavepad sound editor to convert some audio for a video file. Computer was working fine up until yesterday morning when it started restarting on itself. I am able to log into window but then after a minute or so it logs off and restarts. I was able to go into safe mode but it did the same thing and then i went into safe mode with command prompt, uninstalled the two programs and tried to do a virus scan. The scan ran over night and was stalled at 99% and found one virus that it said it fixed. I stopped it and restarted and it continued to do the same thing. I went back into safe mode with command prompt and tried to do a system restore to a previous date [4/9] and that didnt work, it did the restore but it is still restarting on a loop. Im not sure what else to try. I am about to go buy an external so i can copy the files that i need onto a hard drive but i need them. Do you have any ideas? Your help with be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Blog Entries

Did you create a Win 7 recovery disk and image?

Windows 7 PC Restore

If not ....when you fix this....do so...it is quick and easy to do and use

Restore your computer from a system image backup

===========================================================================
    You can use a Linux boot-able OS and mount the Win HDD and get your data....then do a Dell recovery

More options Restore Dell Recovery Partition (Dell DataSafe) Windows 7 - YouTube

There are other options when you boot to the Dell recovery too
    ===============================================
    Warning

When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration. You can't choose individual items to restore, and all of your programs, system settings, and files are replaced with those on the system image.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Microsoft Recommends Uninstalling Windows 7 Security Update 2823324

The update above has been troublesome for many Win 7 users

Thanks. I think they might be the problem. I was able to make a copy of all my files yesterday and am currently using the windows cd to do a system restore to Wednesday. It said that it was going to delete that update which made me wonder of that was the problem. It's still doing it and if that doesn't work then I will follow the directions on your link.

Blog Entries

Your welcome...let us know...abs

That didnt seem to work. It was not showing the update code and i read that someone created a guest account and that didnt do the endless restarted. I tried that and my computer has managed to stay on for about 15 minutes now and hasn't restarted. Im not sure what else to try. I dont want to have to wipe it clean because i would have to install all this software over again. Any other suggestions would be helpful. I think this did happen after an update because i noticed when it was restarting the past times it would have that prompt on the screen saying updating do not unplug.

Blog Entries

May be if we stop the restart we can get an error to show up

How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows 7

I had turned that part off on previous tries and it still happened. I also disabled the updating of windows until i authorize it. Just got home and decided to restart and log into the original screen and it has managed to stay on for about 10 minutes now. Im completely baffled as to what fixed it because i got an error at the end of the system restore to a previous date with the cd and created the new log in account and that stayed on and havent deleted that account.

Hi cyscheidt,

Is this a desktop or laptop?

Either way, have you tried using a can of compressed air to blow out the dirt and dust from inside the computer? Could just be overheating.

In post #1 you mentioned the following:

I am about to go buy an external so i can copy the files that i need onto a hard drive but i need them.
    Copying the files to an external HDD will not remove the files from your computer. It will only create a copy for safe keeping if your HDD crashes or your system becomes unbootable, inaccessible to retrieve those files.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

DonnaB its a desktop and that was the first thing we tried. I can see where it updated the windows update that has caused problems. Seems to be working now. So i guess thats a good thing.