Default Connection for the case speaker on an Intel D865GLC motherboard

Hello, I'm having trouble finding the pins to connect the case speaker on this motherboard. I've done a bit of googling, but seem to get nowhere!?!?!

I'm thinking that the connection should be on the motherboard close to the font USB & front audio pins. But the case speaker has a 4 pin connection (only the outside 2 pins are used, but the piece fits 4 pins) and there arent 4 pins available??

Hopefully someone here can give me some info. Thanks in advance.

I'm thinking that the connection should be on the motherboard close to the font USB & front audio pins.
    You need to look at your motherboard manual. Note on page 25 of your manual it states your motherboard has an integrated system speaker already. That means you don't need a case speaker and that is why there is no connection on the board for a case speaker. The integrated speaker will used by the system for system beeps.

Note that integrated system speakers are common on motherboards today and for that reason, case speakers are not. Therefore, I am guessing that is a fairly old case.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Intel® Desktop Board D865GLC — Product guides

(agree with Digerti...did not see his post while searching for images)

You have a front panel audio option

You should have rear connections that are on the board...the on-board speaker is just for the boot sounds etc
    (different and is on the board)

click the image to enlarge..,.,several manuals are available with a Google search..select images in Google (see the link above)
    Attached Images
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Thanks Digerati & Abesh1. I had previously skimmed thru a motherboard manual, but was looking at the different connections on the board and must have missed the onboard speaker. Yea, it is a bit older, it's an Intel motherboard in an unbranded case, so I'm thinking that the speaker is in there just in case the motherboard that was used had the connections for a speaker??

I'm not getting any audio, boot sounds, etc. So if this motherboard has an onboard speaker, but I'm not getting any audio does that mean that I'm missing a driver?? I did download the XP audio driver - AUD_ALL32_5.12.1.5240_PV2.EXE, but I got a message saying that this driver was already installed. I'm bringing a set of desktop speakers home from work today to test the rear / front audio connections. If the rear / front connections work I suppose that I can do without the motherboard speaker, but just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something simple to get it working. Thanks.

Blog Entries

You should have the boot speaker without a need to connect it
    The speaker is often on the case...so if the case was changed that could be the issue
    But I seldom have seen such a problem

Try looking for the chipset on the mobo site
    Intel® Desktop Board D865GLC — Product guides

Click downloads and select auto find

More info on the board
    http://communities.intel.com/communi...s_chipsetforum
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.

You don't need special drivers for a system speaker - the necessary code is in the BIOS/chipset code - whether the motherboard has an integrated system speaker, or uses a case speaker. There may, however, be a setting in the BIOS Setup Menu to enable/disable system sounds (error beeps).

Understand that "audio" and "system sounds" are two different things. Audio from your main computer speakers are to listen to Windows sounds, music, DVDs, etc. System sounds are very basic error codes generated from deep in the hardware layer and have NOTHING to do with Windows, Windows sounds or Windows drivers.

Some computers/motherboard don't have system speakers, unfortunately. But all should have a sound card (or more likely integrated sound card) to connect to your main computer speakers so you can listen to tune and videos and that hardware does require special drivers for your version of Windows.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    You don't need special drivers for a system speaker - the necessary code is in the BIOS/chipset code - whether the motherboard has an integrated system speaker, or uses a case speaker. There may, however, be a setting in the BIOS Setup Menu to enable/disable system sounds (error beeps).
    I made sure that the system sounds were enabled in BIOS. Yea, I didnt think that a driver was needed for the motherboard speaker/system sounds. But since I wasnt getting any I figured that I'd check on it.

Understand that "audio" and "system sounds" are two different things. Audio from your main computer speakers are to listen to Windows sounds, music, DVDs, etc. System sounds are very basic error codes generated from deep in the hardware layer and have NOTHING to do with Windows, Windows sounds or Windows drivers.

Some computers/motherboard don't have system speakers, unfortunately. But all should have a sound card (or more likely integrated sound card) to connect to your main computer speakers so you can listen to tune and videos and that hardware does require special drivers for your version of Windows.
    Yep, I realize that audio and system sounds are different. I think that my confusion was with the case speaker that didnt have anywhere to be connected to the motherboard. But I was able to get a set of desktop speakers to test the front/rear audio connections, and they're good. So I'm good with the audio now. Thanks for the responses.

Great and thanks for the followup.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

Blog Entries

Good job...glad as is well..abs