Default Dates on files saved

If your pc is is set to the wrong date and time and you save a file. When the file is saved the date of when it was saved is also saved. If the date is set to the right date after the file is saved does the date changed on the info? I hope you can understand what I mean.

Hi Aussiecharm and welcome.

This actually happens frequently - that is, the CMOS battery on the motherboard fails to maintain an adequate charge on the CMOS memory module, causing the module to lose its stored data, which includes, among other things, the date and time settings. In many cases, the computer will still boot, but as you note, the date and time information is wrong, thus newly saved files receive an incorrect timestamp.

No, those saved files will NOT be updated. Only when you open, modify, and save (not just open and close again) will the time stamps be updated.

Note in some cases, critical system and program files with wildly inaccurate timestamps can affect Windows, or the main program they belong to so it is important everyone ensure their computers maintain fairly accurate times.

If your computer cannot maintain the correct timestamp when it is turned off, you need to replace the CMOS battery. Unplug the computer from the wall, touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE reaching in, then pull the battery and get another. You can get a new battery for a couple dollars at just about any battery/watch/camera counter at your local home improvement or discount store. Most likely it is a CR2032 or equivalent but take the old battery with you as many battery counters recycle. Do NOT touch the new battery with your bare skin as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean sock over my hand. Be sure to touch bare metal again before reaching in. Upon first boot, go straight into the BIOS Setup Menu and set your date and time, and verify your drives are detected, then Save and Exit to boot normally. The "Save" part is very important.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thanks Digerati! That was great help. Thanks for your reply much appreciated as I'm not the brightest spark when it comes to pc's :-).

as I'm not the brightest spark when it comes to pc's
    At some point in time, neither was every one else - a fact some people seem to forget. I've been working with computers for over 45 years and if there is one thing I have learned over the years it is that there is always MUCH MORE to learn.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────