Default sound device problems compaq presario cq 57 windows 7 64 bit operating system

my realtek hd sound device is not working. my computer shows it installed in the control panel but it says no sound device installed. I get error code 10 device can not start. It was working fine until my computer did its automatic update now this. I have contacted the company with no answer and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the device driver from the realtek website four times and the issue is still present. when i trouble shoot the computer says that the problem was not resolved. What else can I do? Is there another sound device that I can use? I have a compaq presario cq 57 windows 7 64 bit operating system.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If I understand you correctly you are referring to automatic update from Microsoft? If this is the case, chances are the update was not the one you need. Any and all driver updates should come directly from HP as their hardware is specifically engineered to HP specs. I make a point of never using windows update for anything but Windows applications and updating from the laptop/desktop manufacturer (HP, Toshiba, etc).

Check this out, hopefully the correct driver will be installed Software & Driver Downloads Compaq Presario CQ57-229WM Notebook PC | HP® Support . Let us know if this helps, stay tuned as others may have suggestions too.

This happend after an update for something else it had nothing to do with the sound and I have already downloaded the correct driver and am still getting the same error messages. Does anyone have a useful suggestion so I can fix this?

Blog Entries

You do seem to have a driver issue

You need to update the driver via the device manger wizard...not just install it

You will need to remember the path to the new driver

Canuck has given you the best driver link use a path to his link

Here is a suggestion below

The most common resolution is to update the drivers that are associated with the failing device.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. In the device's Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab.
    2. Click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard.
    3. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

Note
    You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or the driver files may still be installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor's Web site.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    You do seem to have a driver issue

You need to update the driver via the device manger wizard...not just install it

You will need to remember the path to the new driver

Canuck has given you the best driver link use a path to his link

Here is a suggestion below

The most common resolution is to update the drivers that are associated with the failing device.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. In the device's Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab.
    2. Click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard.
    3. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

Note
    You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or the driver files may still be installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor's Web site.

Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

I downloaded the current driver there are no updates

Blog Entries

Did you check the driver version in the Device manager?
    Just because you updated does not mean it replaced the old driver...thus the need to find the path and install with the DV

You may have the latest driver ...but the point is it might be corrupted

You can uninstall it from the DV and reboot it should auto find the driver @ boot and reinstall it without corruption ....is the point

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    Did you check the driver version in the Device manager?
    Just because you updated does not mean it replaced the old driver...thus the need to find the path and install with the DV

You may have the latest driver ...but the point is it might be corrupted

You can uninstall it from the DV and reboot it should auto find the driver @ boot and reinstall it without corruption ....is the point

Thank you for your help but i have done all that already and it is not fixing the problem that is the point. I have unistalled and rebooted and installed six times from compaq website how can it be corrupted every time? I guess I will look elsewhere. Thanks again

Blog Entries

Good luck