Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing a USB stick

Hi, please can I first pay tribute to everyone at help2go, you're all amazing in your I.T knowledge, and I unreservedly appreciate you & salute you, you deserve much, much credit! And if I've paid this tribute in the wrong place I'm really sorry.

My query is this; if I'm connected to the internet & if I've got open pages on the net, whilst at the same time my USB stick is in a USB port, even though I go through the normal procedure of removing the USB stick, the computer won't allow me to safely remove the USB stick while I have open pages on the internet, I have to close the internet down completely before I can safely remove the stick. I've never had this problem with my other computer (a desktop), I only have the problem with the laptop, any help please? Laptop by the way is a Toshiba Satellite, and I'm running Windows 7, thanks again for your efforts.

What if you remove the stick, reboot, and without re-inserting the stick, connect to the Internet, what happens?

That said, I don't really know if I understand what you mean by "open pages on the net". Do you mean when you are viewing a webpage, like this forum?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Sorry....didn't mean to confuse...what I mean is, when I'm connected to the internet, and if I have a USB memory stick plugged in at the time, where I would normally remove the stick via 'right click on the icon to remove safely', I get an error message telling me to close down the internet otherwise I can't safely remove the stick? I don't get this on my other computer, so there must surely be an error with configuration somewhere?

What if you remove the stick, reboot, and without re-inserting the stick, connect to the Internet, what happens?
    Did you at one time use that stick for temporary storage or perhaps a ReadyBoost device?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

No not at all (although I've never heard of a 'readyBoost' device sorry)....I just don't understand how I can go through the normal safety removal procedure for the USB stick on one computer WITHOUT first having to close down the internet, but on the laptop I can't remove the stick safely until I've shut down the internet? I'm advised that to safely remove the USB storage stick without corrupting it, you 'right click' on the USB stick icon, and then 'left click' on the identified memory stick that appears in a pop-up box. I've always done this with no problems, on & off the internet, but for some reason I can't do it on the laptop without FIRST closing down the internet? Its all gobbledegook to me, sorry.

If you were using ReadyBoost, you would know it. That is a Windows feature developed some time ago to allow Windows to use the stick as more RAM space. It can improve performance on systems with low amounts of RAM, though performance gains were never anything to get excited over - thus ReadyBoost never really caught on.

The safely remove option is supposed to force the system to write any cached data and close any open files on the device. But it should have nothing to do with the Internet.

I ask for a 3rd time, "What if you remove the stick, reboot, and without re-inserting the stick, connect to the Internet, what happens?"
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Please answer Digerati
    "What if you remove the stick, reboot, and without re-inserting the stick, connect to the Internet, what happens?"
    Also what do you use the USB stick for ...file storage...backup or what?
    =====================================================

This usually works
    Log Off your Profile, un-plug the USB's Connected and Log back on...even trying a different port could be a fix

Ports do fail
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Sorry Digerati I really wasn't being rude, and I sincerely apologise. If I remove the stick, reboot, and connect to the internet WITHOUT re-inserting the stick, as far as I know everything is as it should be. I only use the stick for storing files & documents. I may have misunderstood you, I'm really sorry.

Hi Number7,

Just wondering!?!?! Does this happen with all USB's on that one computer?
    Last edited by DonnaB; 05-11-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Sorry Digerati I really wasn't being rude, and I sincerely apologise.
    Not to worry. I didn't think you were being rude. The fact it works fine when you boot with the stick out is good. It suggests there is, or was, a file on your memory stick that was opened. I wonder now what happens if the computer is up and running and you insert this stick, if you can open file on the stick, then close the file, then remove the stick.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast