Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Issues

Default Computer Issues

Hi,

I am having two major problems and would like your help on the same.
    1. I cannot play any music on my Hard Disk with the Windows Media player. I am getting the error message "Server Execution Failed"

2. The second issue is that I have a folder which has various sub folders. However when I Open the folder I can see only 5 folders even though I know there are 25 sub folders within. The reason I know that is becuase when I right click on the main folder and click on properties, it tells me the no of folders.
    Also I know the path of some folders and if I type the same in explorer I can get to the sub folder even though I cant see it staright by clicking on the main folder.

Would appreciate your help on this one.

Regards,
    Gamlu1

Quote Originally Posted by gamlu View Post
    Hi,

I am having two major problems and would like your help on the same.
    1. I cannot play any music on my Hard Disk with the Windows Media player. I am getting the error message "Server Execution Failed"

2. The second issue is that I have a folder which has various sub folders. However when I Open the folder I can see only 5 folders even though I know there are 25 sub folders within. The reason I know that is becuase when I right click on the main folder and click on properties, it tells me the no of folders.
    Also I know the path of some folders and if I type the same in explorer I can get to the sub folder even though I cant see it staright by clicking on the main folder.

Would appreciate your help on this one.

Regards,
    Gamlu1
    As for #1, you should try restarting the Windows Media Player service. This link will help guide you through the steps needed. It is very self-explanatory. Playing or launching Windows media player getting "Server execution failed" Win 7

And for the second issue, you want to make sure you have SHOW ALL HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS checked within Folder Options in Windows. I am assuming you have Windows 7. If so, this link will also help you. Show hidden files

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I got item 2 resolved so thanks- just clicked on Hide first and then reversed the procedure to see all the sub folders.
    However, I tried restarting the service for Windows Media player using the link but it did not work.

Cheers

Hi gamlu,

Is this the same computer that you have posted logs for here in our malware removal forum that fireman4it is helping you with? If so, please continue to follow his instructions and rescan with RogueKiler and click the Delete button as he requested. It would be pointless to help you solve the issue with Windows Media Player on an infected computer. Once he has given you the all clean speech and the issue is not resolved, we can continue to help you in this thread.

Thank you,

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi Donna,

I may have missed your last email.
    I am here again becasue now I am unable to start the computer. I am getting the error message "Windows Loading Files" and this message keeps continuing for ever.
    I even tried starting the laptop (Dell) in Safe Mode but its not starting. Would you recommend me some options?
    Also if the solution to this problem means reloading Windows then would I lose all my files saved in the hard disk? There are some important files in there and I have not got a back-up of the data for almost a year so am a bit worried.

cheers,
    Gamlu

Hi Donna,

I have read the thread "Windows fail to load" started by Treep and my problem is very similar.
    I have tried doing some of the things you mentioned on that thread and have the following issues
    1. When I try to press F8 and select "Safe Mode wtih Command Prompt" I get Windows file loading and then suddenly it stops and send me back to the first error message and back to where I started.
    The same is happening when I try selecting "Last Known Good Configuration"

I am getting the feeling that the Hard Disk must have got corrupted here. I do have the reintall Windows XP CD but not sure how to go about reinstalling windows again when the laptop itself is not starting.

Regards,
    Gamlu

Hi gamlu,

This isn't the same computer that you had posted about here is it? The one in the removal forum is a Windows 7, above you mentioned that you have the XP discs.

Please verify to prevent confusion.

Thank you,

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

I have Windows 7 - sorry for the confusion.
    Unfortunately, the recovery disk that I can locate is for XP (must be my previous laptop) - will try and look for the same.

While going through the other note in the spyware forum, the advice I am getting from your experts is that the computer may never be trsuted again - seems quite serious to me
    Last edited by gamlu; 06-01-2013 at 04:58 AM.

While going through the other note in the spyware forum, the advice I am getting from your experts is that the computer may never be trsuted again - seems quite serious to me
    Hi gamlu,

Yes. This is a very serious infection that hides in the boot sector and if allowed to progress will leave your system unbootable as you have found. The infection can be cleansed, though there is no guarantee that something might be left behind that could access your passwords and sensitive data. Depending on what you used this computer for would determine if you would like to reformat the HDD and reinstall or not.

Due to the infections progression, it would be much more difficult to cleanse than to reformat then reinstall.

What is the make and model of your computer? Does it have a recovery partition? Did you find the recovery discs?

Let us know,

Donna

Hi gamlu,

I removed your product key for security purposes. It's totally useless to me and my fellow committed members here. Never post your product key out in the open for anyone to steal. Please jot that key down in a safe place in case you need it at a later time.

Now, as for your problem. Let's work on getting your data off the HDD. There are a couple of ways to do this.

One way is to Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data. Took me some time to figure out the Linux OS but the tutorial is very good.

You can back up all your important documents, personal data files, photos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml ) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or adding to the existing extension as shown here so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions . Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. Im not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.

Note:
    Again, do not back up any data with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

~~~~

Another way that I achieved this task was to purchase a HDD enclosure, remove the HDD from the computer and insert it into the enclosure, then attach the enclosed HDD to a different computer to access from there, though the computer that I used this technique on was not infected with an MBR rootkit. Allow me some time to ask around to see if this infection can spread in that manner.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 06-02-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast