Thread: Computer freeze

Default Computer freeze

Hi, please could anyone advise me? My desktop (tower) computer has recently started to freeze, everything freezes. If I have documents that I'm in the process of creating (Microsoft office Home & Student 2010), I either cannot finish the creation of the document, or I cannot save it, sometimes I can't even open Microsoft Office because of a freeze. If I have the internet open & I'm viewing pages & doing research, I lose the connection and/or can't shut down the pages. Sometimes (more frequently) the computer just completely freezes & fails to function & I can't even go to 'start' & reboot the system, and if I do manage to reboot the system it then does a disc (HDD) check & initiates a 'repair the computer' mode, and sometimes the system gives a message that says 'unable to fix the computer, please restart', I restart & get the same problem. I'm running Windows 7, I have a dual core processor, and the windows 7 program is genuine & legal. I have [I]Avast free anti-virus[/I] installed, I've done numerous full system scans which tell me the system is clean with no viruses or spyware. I've used AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials (though not together) just to double check, and still it says (after the scans) that there are no viruses or spyware. I've done a 'CHKDSK', I've run a scan to check for bad sectors, and everything comes up great. Sometimes (like now, as I write this), the system will run beautifully, and all of a sudden without warning it Will freeze & I can do nothing so I have to reboot & hope for the best.

Could the problem be A 'TROJAN' somewhere? Could there be a hidden root-kit (whatever one of them is? I've heard they're not good)? Should I try alternative anti-viruses? Could there be a virus attached to the motherboard or could the motherboard be failing somewhere? The problem is I'm unemployed & don't have the money to go to any expense. Please could you help? If you need more information I'll tell you anything you need to know. Thank you for your help.

Blog Entries

Try the following
    Diagnosing memory problems on your computer

=================================================================
    As long as you are comfortable that you do not have malware
    A repair install is a good fix for the Win 7 files ...but will not fix malware

It does seems that Win OS is corrupted ...second choice would be to do a Win 7 OS repair

Backup...but this procedure will keep your data
    Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Hi abseh1, thank you for the reply & for the advice. I've done a memory check (thank you for the link) and everything is good here, no errors. I'm going to run a 'windows 7 repair program with a repair disk that I have here...I'll keep you updated.

Blog Entries

A repair of Win 7 is a great start and really not to difficult
    (do not forget to run Win updates as there will be several missing after the repair....it takes numerous runs of Win updates as they are sequential)
    ===============================================================================================

Also, check the device manager for errors...usually yellow or red in color

Make sure all your drivers are up to date....at least the graphics drivers and sound

It has the appearance of a hardware issue as well

Best to update drivers from the manufacturer's website

This means keeping the Windows updates current too
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Abseh1 can I just ask please, to do a windows 7 repair with the repair disk, do I need to reboot the system with the disk in the drive?

When was the last time you cleaned out all the heat trapping dust inside your computer? High temps can surely cause a computer to halt. What are your temps? A failing PSU can cause sudden, unexplained system halts too. I always like to make sure I am providing good power and adequate cooling whenever troubleshooting possible hardware problems.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Thank you Digerati, no problem with dust or dirt, temps are good I think...

How do I check for Malware & how do I get rid of it if I have any please?

temps are good I think...
    Ummm, well, sorry but "I think..." does not reassure me. You need to know what your temps are. Here's my canned text on hardware monitoring.

Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). If none, I use and recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs, or RealTemp for Intels. SpeedFan is a great and popular alternative, or you can try Motherboard Monitor. Open Hardware Monitor is also becoming very popular. Unfortunately, I have found that these programs often have problems properly labeling the sensor they are reading. The temperatures shown are as accurate as the inexpensive, low-tech sensors will allow, but it may say System Fan instead of CPU Fan. Or, they may just say something like Temp 1, Temp 2, Temp 3, etc. Fortunately, the programs do allow you to edit the labels.

I use Everest and Speccy (from the makers of CCleaner) to verify the temperatures (as they tend to be accurate matching sensor to label), then edit the label in the monitoring program. HWMonitor, from the makers of CPUID is also very informative. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. In Speccy, the summary page reports the CPU, motherboard (system/chipset), drive (if supported by the drive) and graphics temps. Unfortunately, HWMonitor, Speccy and Everest don't minimize to the system tray to show temperatures in real-time. Also note due to different sampling frequencies and interpreting algorithms used by the various monitoring programs, one program may show 46C for the CPU while the other shows 45C. They will be close but may not be exactly the same. So double-check to be sure you label accurately, if relabeling is required.

You can often check but must not rely on the temps shown in the BIOS Setup Menu, if your BIOS version supports motherboard monitoring in the Setup Menu. While they are likely correct and accurately labeled in the BIOS Setup Menu, running the BIOS Setup Menu is probably the least demanding task you can ask of your computer so it does not show the temps when the system is being even marginally taxed. But if the temps are high in the BIOS Setup Menu temps, you have a problem that needs to be corrected immediately.

I get nervous when CPU temperatures hit 60C. While most CPUs are capable operating at higher temps, system stability issues arise and long term exposure to very warm temperatures increases component aging (including the CPU socket and surrounding devices). GPU (graphics processing unit) temperatures typically run considerably warmer with 80C not uncommon.

Heat may not be the cause of your system failures here, but they should still be checked to ensure they are good just to eliminate heat from the equation.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
    How do I check for Malware & how do I get rid of it if I have any please?
    Sorry, you posted that reply while my slow fingers were typing. If you suspect malware, you should have a Help2Go malware removal expert take a look by following the instructions posted here.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: