Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Good morning Number7,

Inclement weather prevented me from getting online last night. We have some very nasty weather passing through the heartland of the U.S. I'm in Illinois myself. More storms are expected throughout the day so I may have to disconnect my computers from their power sources to prevent damage. Just wanted you to know ahead of time in case that happens again.

I'm going to have you download and install SeaTools by SeaGate onto the problem computer to perform a diagnostics test on your harddrive. Please read the content in the link above thoroughly before following the instructions. I would prefer that you do the Long Drive Self Test which can take up to 4 hours to complete. Please note the following I have quoted from the tutorial:

The long tests will take time to complete. Because the long tests read every sector on the drive, the amount of time required will depend on the speed and capacity of the disk drive. The highest capacity drives often take 2 to 4 hours to complete. During the "Long Drive Self Test" progress is reported in 10% increments only. On large drives, 10% progress may take as much as 15 minutes. The apparent lack of activity often gives the impression that the drive or software has stopped responding. Please do not abort the Long Drive Self Test unless an adequate length of time has elapsed to complete the first 10%. Unfortunately, this 10% granularity is an industry standard.
    When the test is complete, please post the results.

While you are awaiting the test to complete, have a look at the following link:

How to configure posts per page on H2G:

I took the time to create a tutorial for you last before I lost power due the storms passing through. Follow the instructions in the tutorial to set your profile to view 30 posts per page. This should decrease the multiple pages in your thread from 4 to 2 allowing 30 posts to be viewed on one page. I'm hoping this will make viewing your thread a bit easier for you. You can change those setting from your good laptop since it is a forum function and not PC specific.

Thank you,

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Hi DonnB, I received your post at 17.57hrs British time. Thank you for getting back to me, I understand the weather conditions are a serious problem in the U.S, I'm downloading the requested program right now, I may not get back to you till Sunday because I'm out tonight. I'll keep you informed. And thank you for the H2G tutorial. Get back to you soon, hope all is well despite the bad weather, God bless

Number7

This is the error message I received Donna...sorry?

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    at SeaToolsforWindows.frmSTXMain.ProcessTestCompleted(Int32 xd)
    at SeaToolsforWindows.frmSTXMain.Timer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.296 (RTMGDR.030319-2900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    SeaToolsforWindows
    Assembly Version: 1.2.0.8
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.8
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Seagate/SeaTools%20for%20Windows/SeaToolsforWindows.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Management
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
    SpawnCLR
    Assembly Version: 1.0.4720.28702
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.8
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Seagate/SeaTools%20for%20Windows/SpawnCLR.DLL
    CustomMarshalers
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/CustomMarshalers/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/CustomMarshalers.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hi DonnaB, I've been waiting for a reply but remember you said you had bad weather in the U.S, have I missed a reply somewhere? I did post the results of a scan as requested, don't know if you received them or not? I'm semi-convinced I might have a corrupt operating system? I'm wrestling with the idea of purchasing a new Windows 7 OS or even a windows 8 OS? I've heard Windows 7 is on its way out...but then I've heard many other things too? Please would you be able to advise? Thank you...this is page 41...I think?

Hi Number7,

I do apologize for the delay. The weather finally cleared and everything seemed to go downhill from there with life's little issues beyond my control. I'll past back as soon as possible. I need to take a closer at those logs.

Please accept my apologies.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

No worries...apologies accepted though no need, I just thought I'd either made a nuisance of myself, or that the weather in the U.S had got the upper hand. I'll wait for your reply. Thank you....

Number 7

Hi Number7,

I've looked over your logs with a fine toothed comb in this thread and the other thread that abseh1 and Digerati had helped you with and can not come to a conclusion as to what might be the issue. I have even reached out to some expert hardware techs for their advice and they are stumped as well. We've pretty much eliminated everything we possibly can that might cause this problem.

I think the best option here is take the computer to a reputable tech shop in your area and have them take a look at the computer. Please post back to this thread and let us know what the tech found. I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you,

Donna

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi DonnaB

Having sought independent advice regarding my system, it would seem I have a corrupt operating system, therefore, I'm looking to purchase Windows 8 & basically renovate my system. DonnaB thank you so much for your efforts, time, patience, and support. I will always return to H2G, and recommend it to my friends. Thank you again for everything, really appreciate you.

Chris

Hi Number7,

You're welcome!

Honestly, I believe it is a corrupt OS install myself, though I couldn't understand why, if you had reinstalled several times in the past, that every install became corrupt. I'm glad you reached out for a second opinion. You did the right thing, and thank you for letting me know your decision.

Good luck!

Donna

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345