Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Can a motherboard get a virus?

Hi everyone...at the risk of sounding dumb (though I know I am), can a motherboard be infected with a virus? Having followed the previously submitted advice of respected volunteers at help2go (personally I think they deserve to be paid), I've carried out various checks on my computer system: 'chkdsk', defragmentation, I've checked the HDD for any bad sectors, I've done a memory test check, I've initiated various scans on the system with anti-virus programs, I've everything I know to do, and every test has come up positive, as in, no bad sectors, no memory problems, no viruses or infections of ANY kind. The situation I get is that, my system (windows 7) can run as smooth, as smooth, and as sweet as a brand new system, but after a while...could be half an hour or an hour, the system will suddenly become sluggish, everything will start to slow down, and eventually maybe freeze & come to a dead stop. I know I've highlighted this problem before & I really apologise for raising it again (as boring as it gets), but could my problem be an infected motherboard? Actually, alternatively could my problem somehow be that my windows 7 program has become corrupt & therefore affecting the system? I have the money now to buy a brand new windows 7 disc, but I want to make sure first that if I buy the disc I install it on a clean system. What does anyone here think please...infected motherboard? Corrupt windows 7 program? Should I buy a new windows 7 operating system program & simply do a clean re-install? Thank you (AGAIN) for your time on this, I really appreciate & resect your patience with me.

Hi Number7,

This concerns your Toshiba Satellite C855 laptop that you have been having issues with for quit some time now, correct? How long have you had this laptop and has this been happening since you first bought it?

Let's see if I can spot anything in the following log(s):

Please download OTL to your Desktop
    • Right-click on and select Run As Administrator to start the program. If prompted by UAC, please allow it.
    • Click the Scan All Users checkbox
      and
    • Check the option for All under the Extra Registry section
    • Click Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
    • When done, two Notepad files will open.
      • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened, maximized
      • Extras.txt <-- Will be minimized on task bar.
    • Please post the contents of both OTL.txt and Extras.txt files in your next reply.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Follow Donna's post and look for heat issues too (includes a desktop)

Maybe a laptop cooling pad or cleaning will help?

Amazon.com: Cooling Pads: Electronics

BTW: To answer your question ...No... a mobo can not get a virus
    There are boot viruses but not motherboard viruses....they can have mechanical failures

Just a guess...but the Power supply is a suspect as are the memory sticks...plus heat too
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-24-2013 at 07:02 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Read DonnaB's post above

Donna emailed me and we agree that you should check your warranty and if it is good...have them help you and ask for Win 8 too (if available)...abs

Hi abseh1....I'm really sorry I haven't followed donnaB's post as yet, I've had family issues. I will be following the advice on her post very soon, I'll respectfully keep you both updated.....sorry again.

Blog Entries

Hey, no problem ...hope all is well...abs

Hi DonnaB, I'm so sorry...I don't know if you received the requested reports or not? I tried copying & pasting them to you twice but the system seemed to fail? Am I doing it wrong somehow? Please could you advise?

Hi Number7,

Not to worry. Let's see what I can do to help you get those logs posted for my viewing pleasure!

What do you mean by the system seemed to fail?

Are the OTL.txt and Extras.txt logs still on your desktop?

Right click on those text files and choose Open from the menu. Once they are open, right click within the text file again and choose Select All. The content of the text file should turn blue when highlighted. Next, click within the Quick Reply box, right click again and this time choose Paste from the menu. Do this for both text files.

If for some reason your are having troubles with the system itself, do you have another computer and a USB flash drive handy where you could transfer the files from the problem computer to the good computer and try to post the logs from there?

Let me know. In the meantime, I'll think of another way to accomplish this in case that doesn't work.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Dear DonnaB - sorry but I've tried four times now to copy & paste the logs according to your instructions but it just refuses to send it to you, and then the site that I'm on (help2go) is shut down by Internet Explorer. Can I send the logs to you by email or is this against the rules? Sorry about this...honestly I'm really sorry.

Did you try to transfer the files to a USB, transfer them to another computer and try to post from the other computer?

Do you have a dropbox acct (or similar) where you can upload the files and provide the links?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast