Default "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully" error.

Any help will be appreciated!
    Dell Latitude D420
    PN: PP09S, Device type: Laptop, Processor type: Intel Core Duo U2500, Memory: 1 GB, Screen size: 12 inch, Resolution: 1280x800, Total storage capacity: 60 GB, Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

I am hung in that dreded loop from a corrupt Malwarebytes uninstal and reinstal that must have went badly. None of the options to start the computer or get to safe mode work. I'm trying to run Check Disk with repair options to fix the problem and uninstall the corrupt Malwarebytes program
    This computer operating system is windows xp professional, service pack three I believe. It has no cd or floppy drive so I purchased an external USB cd drive to boot it up. This computer was a gift and did not come with a recovery or operating system CD. I have new window xp pro software that I can use to boot it up to the Windows Professional Setup screen where the three options are given to "set up Windows xp", "repair a Windows xp installaion using Recovery Console, press R" or "quit set up without installing Windows xp, press F3". Here is where my problems begin. When I press the R key to go to the recovery console I'm coming to this screen:
    C:\> "

"Microsoft Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console.
    The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery funtionality.
    Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\Windows

Which Windows Installation would you like to log in to?
    <to cancel press ENTER>
    Type the Administrator password:

When I type in CHKDSK/r to run check disk and repair, the command is not recognized. When I run CHKDSK without the "r" I'm getting a message "The volumn appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway". If this message appears as a result of the Check Disk program running, apparently it stops running after displaying this message as no other information appears.
    First question...does anyone know exactly what I type on after the C:\> to get to the recovery console or have any other suggestions from here?

Also in trying a different approach, on the Windows XP Professional Setup screen where the three options are given to "set up Windows xp", "repair a Windows xp installaion using Recovery Console, press R" or "quit set up without installing Windows xp, press F3", when I press enter and accept the user agreement, a screen appears that reads:
    * To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.
    * To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.
    * To delete the selected partition, press D.
    (in a box below, this message appears)
    57232 DB Disk 0 at id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
    C: Partition [Unknown] 57232 MB <57231 MB free>

ENTER=Install D=Delete Partition F3=Quit

Windows XP Professional Setup
    If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, setup can try to repair it.
    Use the UP or DOWN keys to select an installation.
    To repair the selected Windows installation, press R.
    To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
    (highlighted in a box is C:\WINDOWS Microsoft Windows XP Professional F3=Quit R=Repair ESC=Don't Repair

I hope this makes sense! Obviously the goal is to get in to the recovery program to run Check Disk and any help would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by hirize; 05-24-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Use the option below
    Instead of the usual screen that reads:

Windows XP Professional Setup
    If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, setup can try to repair it.
    Use the UP or DOWN keys to select an installation.
    To repair the selected Windows installation, press R.
    If have more than one os ...be sure to select Win XP Pro...that is probably the only one you have

Important do not allow a reformat...that is a different option and will do a clean install and you will lose all data

If you have a backup...actually the reformat and clean install is the better option

Because the repair will only fix a corrupt Win XP Pro but will not remove malware or any viruses

More info
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ir-windows-xp/

Here is a video on a clean install...if you choose too
    Ignore the first part because you are not able to get to windows
    Just boot with the DVD and go from the boot menu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ULuIG5DmE4
    Last edited by abseh1; 05-25-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abseh1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by abseh1 View Post
    Use the option below

If have more than one os ...be sure to select Win XP Pro...that is probably the only one you have

Important do not allow a reformat...that is a different option and will do a clean install and you will lose all data

If you have a backup...actually the reformat and clean install is the better option

Because the repair will only fix a corrupt Win XP Pro but will not remove malware or any viruses

More info
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ir-windows-xp/

Here is a video on a clean install...if you choose too
    Ignore the first part because you are not able to get to windows
    Just boot with the DVD and go from the boot menu
    How to format and do a clean install of windows xp pro sp3 - YouTube
    Thanks for your reply. It was most appreciated! I only have the xp operating system so no selections were necessary. However, here is where I am now. I found a Dell branded Recovery Disk on the internet, ordered it and it works great. It will install the entire XP program with SP 3 but my problem is in the final installation process, it ask for the Administrators password. This computer was a gift and already set set up so I have no clue what that password is. Soooooo, when I come to the final installation process I'm stuck.
    I did find a web site that was very helpfull that walked me through the entire process of recovering the computer with the Dell Recovery disk including how to change the Administrator password during the installation process. Everything worked beautifully until I got to the point where I was ask to "Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel." The link to this web page is posted below as well as the text of the article (in case the link fails).
    I did exactly as the instructions stated but after pressing SHIFT+F10, coming to the cmd.exe prompt and typing in the NUSRMGR.CPL, the command was rejected so I could not change the password and therefore am at a point that the installation ask for a password I do not know. MY QUESTION...since NUSRMGR.CPL did not work, what is the correct command to type into the prompt to access the security console to change the Administrators password during the installation process? That is the only thing that is keeping the installation from completing. Again, any help would be appreciated. The link to the article as well as the full article is posted below.

XP Recovery Console - Admin password forgotten

issue
    A while back I bought a Dell Optiplex 210L on Ebay. It's been great until recently when the system crashed and it will not boot again. I tried to use the XP recovery console but it wants an admin password which I do not have. Is there any way to access the recovery console without the password? I see that there are fixes to this if you have access to the computer, which of course I do not. Any help would be appreciated.
    Solution
    Please follow these instructions below:

Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (assuming here that your XP CD is bootable as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
    Keep your eye on the screen for messages for booting from your CD: typically, it will be "Press any key to boot from CD"
    Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files
    When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
    The Licensing Agreement will come next - Press F8 to accept it
    The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair

It should read something like "If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it"...

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
    Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot (this will happen automatically and you will see a progress bar starting). Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds.
    During the reboot, do not make the mistake of pressing any key to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
    Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
    At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
    Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you wish. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for a password. After you have made your changes, close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

Here it is!!

Default Can't log in during recovery...do not know administrator password.

'm going to take another approach to the same question.
    I'm trying to recover my Dell Latitude 430 loaded with Windows XP Pro. 2002 by reinstalling the program from a Dell recovery CD.
    The problem is I do not know the administrator password so I can't finalize the installation because I can't log in. To solve the problem I needed a way to change the password during installation. According to an article at How to Break a Windows XP Admin Password Using the Nusrmgr Exploit, Steps 1 thru 13 explain how to do that. I followed the steps given below and it worked beautifully until I got to step 12. When I typed in NUSRMGR.CPL at the cmd.exe prompt it failed to go in to the User Accounts in the Control Panel. My question...Does anyone know what command to type at this prompt to access the User Accounts to change the Administrator password.
    Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

1. Place your Windows XP CD(Boot-able) in your CD-rom and start your computer.

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your CD. Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from CD.”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome and Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows.

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen, which gives you the option to do a Repair. It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it.”

7. Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP instruction.

8. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

9. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (This will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”.)

10. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens, and you will notice installing Windows is highlighted.

11. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen, and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

12. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Now you have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

13. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords at the prompt and choose to log on.

Hi Hirize, we don't assist in lost passwords here as we can't always guarantee the owner of the computers in question. You would need to contact whoever gave you the computer in the first place and see if they remember the password or get a normal windows install disk and do a completely clean install.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mich For This Useful Post: