Default Desperately need help with installing OS, error messages ????????

Hi everyone,

I have a HP Pavillion dv5 Notebook Pc. It crashed bigtime and the recuva disks I made could not reboot it so I purchased a new HD for it.
    The OS was Vista, but I prefer XP and tried to load XP home edition onto the new HD, would not load comes up error, so does XP Pro. This laptop is just for use with some old programs that won't run on my other laptop which is windows 8.
    When I hit F2 it comes up with the following info.
    Notebook Model: HP Pavillion dv5 Notebook PC
    Product No: FQ373PA#ABG
    Total memory: 2048 MB
    Insyde H20 Version: F.OB
    Serial no. etc
    Factory installed OS: Vista.

Does this mean that I can only install Vista? I thought with a new hard drive you could install any windows OS.
    The notebook didn't come with a disc, so can I use the recovery discs I made originally when I purchased the computer to reinstall vista onto the new hard drive or do I have to purchase a vista cd.

Many thanks
    Tabatha

Hi Tabatha and Welcome.

According to the product description I am finding for that notebook, there is no support for XP. And that is common for newer hardware to NOT have drivers or other support for older operating systems.

If you cannot find legacy XP drivers for your hardware, you cannot install XP on it. And to that, note that XP is well over 10 years old and designed to support hardware from the DOS era, 10 years before that. And XP was designed with security almost as an afterthought because most users did not have high-speed (or any) Internet access and badguys had not yet discovered how lucrative the Internet would be. So if anything, you should be trying to move forwards and not backwards by installing Windows 7 (or 8) instead of XP, if not wanting Vista anymore.

I realize that is not probably what you wanted to hear, but those are the facts.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Hi Digerati and many thanks,

I understand moving forward, I have another great laptop with windows 8, just really needed to keep Vista or XP on this notebook for software/programs I have.
    So the recuva discs (computer illiterate) that I made originally would they reinstall vista onto the new hard drive or will I have to purchase Vista?, notebook didn't come with any discs.
    Thanks
    Tabs