Thread: Windows 8 Pro

Default Windows 8 Pro

Please, please can you advise? If I'm posting in the wrong place please excuse me, I'm sorry. I currently have Windows 7 on my desktop computer. I think (having done many checks & examinations) that my operating system (Win7) has become infected and/or corrupted. Following much research, asking questions, and general enquiries, I'm drawn to purchase 'Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64 bit OEM, FQC-05955, English Version'. I'm led to understand this is a full version, NOT AN UPGRADE, but then I'm otherwise advised by certain 'experts' that there isn't any 'FULL VERSION' as yet, only upgrades. Please oh please can someone help me on this? My other concern is that if my current Win7 OS is infected and/or corrupt, if I installed an upgrade (or full version) of Win8 Pro on my system, would any virus/infection/corruption be inherited by the new Win8 Pro? I'm told by Microsoft Technicians that a clean install with Windows 8 Pro would delete and/or annihilate any infections. My hope was that I could delete the current partition with Windows7, format the HDD, create a new partition, and do a complete clean install from scratch with Windows8 Pro, and therefore the format of the HDD & deletion of the partition with Win7 would kill off any infections prior to a clean install, is this correct? I'm told that with any install of Win8, there MUST be a previous Windows programme currently installed. I'm totally confused, please can you make me understand? Thank you for your time.

but then I'm otherwise advised by certain 'experts' that there isn't any 'FULL VERSION' as yet, only upgrades.
    Well, they clearly are not experts then. See here.

I'm told that with any install of Win8, there MUST be a previous Windows programme currently installed.
    I assume you were told that by those same "experts"? Again, wrong - especially with the full (not upgrade) version. That would suggest every new computer must have a previous version of Windows installed before W8 can be installed. Not true.

A full (not "quick") format and reinstall should do the trick - though there is some malicious code (notably, nasty rootkits) that can survive a format. For that reason, you may want to scan the disk with a rootkit scanner (I like Malwarebytes new Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR)), then "wipe" the disk first with a program like Eraser or with the Drive Wiper feature in CCleaner (select CCleaner Slim version for no toolbar option).

That said, if the user (always the weakest link in security) is careful, uses a current anti-malware solution and firewall, avoids risky behavior like illegal file sharing via torrents and peer to peer (P2P) sites, and keeps Windows 7 fully updated, Windows 7 is actually pretty hard to infect with actual malicious code. It can be bogged down, however, with a bunch of extra junk that routinely get downloaded and installed on our system - especially with "free" program that included unwanted extras (toolbars, search engines, downloaders, etc.).

If these same "experts" have been advising you on your suspected malware infection, I might suggest you have real malware removal expert have a look first. See Help2Go Forums - How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post: